Sunday, March 2, 2014

2/28/2014 and 3/1/2014 Opening weekend of the show - a small mishap

It's late, I'm exhausted and sore... gonna try to combine two days posts in a nutshell, here. 

Friday the 28th was opening night of Cannery Row - a bit of rushing happened, but it was fine. Fortunately, the running of scenes, etc. before the show doesn't need to include me, for the most part. 

Opening was lovely. There were a few jitter errors - myself making one, I started the wrong song ( The intro to it being very like the one I started which actually comes later) and both of them being about the moon - "Shine On, Harvest Moon" and "By the LIght of the Silvery Moon.")
I sang "Shine on, sh..." and Nathan, the guitar player, save my butt.  He just made a noise, like "UNH!* and began to sing the right song - I joined in, he duetted with me for the first half of the verse ans it flowed fine after that - I think it was more tiredness than nerves, but maybe a little of that, too. It would have been a MESS to sing the wrong song - they are integrated into the action, so - yikes! 
There were a few line freezes (the term for an actor losing their lines on stage is "going up" and it has happened to ALL of us at one time or another.) Each time it happened, though, this wonderful group had each other's backs, as Nathan did for me. The show didn't suffer for it, and it came off well. 

On the way to the theatre in the rain, I heard over the radio an official Tornado Warning - it wasn't far from here - that's exciting, as we were never tornado country, but now we have several a year. Fortunately, so far, they are very low energy ones. 

Shauna, my wonderful home Physical Therapist came to the show and went out for celebratory nosh and drinks with some of the cast and crew - it was a delight to see her, and I'm so happy she enjoyed the show. It was fun to get a chance to socialize with her! She was so happy to see my progress and how weel I did getting around. She's a delightful person, and glad she's my friend. 


Saturday the 29th
After staying up so late Friday, I slept in, and awoke with a rather froggy voice. from experience, I ws not alarmed and kew that with a little warming up and a hot shower, etc it would be back for the evening, and it was. 
I made a nice breakfast, relaxed, chatted with Jt in Bali and got it together for the show. 
The show went great! 
I did have a scary bit of a fall - at the end of the show, two steps from the bottom of the escape stairs off the set, my heel caught on the stair - and I went down. It had nothing to do with my surgery, just a misstep. 
It took a minute to gather myself, but I was FINE. I had great help from a few cast and crew members  -it took a minute, but they got an ice pack for me - I had scraped my left shin pretty well on the wooden step and it was bruising up pretty well. 
It actually scared the CRAP out of me. I shook for about half an hour - but several good hug and kind words of concern helped calm me, and I was off to home. Fortunately, I have an appointment with my chiropractor - the first since probably last June - and the timing couldn't be better! I hate going in there to show off my new hips and abilities having to tell him I just fell and need a little TLC!! D'oh! 
 
I had to stop at the grocery sore on the way home from the theatre for cat food and a few other things, which was good, so I could test and see how I was really getting along. NO pain at ALL in the hips above the usually that I already have, That shin smarted, and i was beginning to feel the muscles that caught my fall. 
I cam home and iced like mad and the shin looks fine but for a scrape. I'll be sore tomorrow
My PRIMARY DIRECTIVE IS  - DON'T FALL!! I've done so well - that's the last fall I take.  I'll be in flats for the rest of the run. My heels are low and they belong to me, so they are well-fit, but I'll save them for the dance party at the end of May.

I'm going to get some good stretches and turn in. Tomorrow morning will come too soon. 

I will send Dr, Smith an email to let him know that I fell - it would be irresponsible not to mention it - and see f he wants me to get x-rays. I hate that I JUST had a set this last week, but I may have to get ANOTHER set - my dear hope is that he'll ask me a few questions about pain and function - the range of motion is not changed a bit as far as I can tell - and then tell me it should be OK. 

I'm glad Shauna didn't see THAT happen! 

NO MORE FALLING. 

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!