Tuesday, March 25, 2014

3/25/2014 This is a practical, TMI bodily functions kind of post.

There is a thing that *can* happen with surgery. It doesn't seem to happen to everyone, but it happened to me. Perhaps because my digestive system is already hinky (Coeliac disease) - I don't know. I DO know that Norco (Hydrocodone with Tylenol) is the culprit. It serves a purpose, but it is also evil. Most narcotic / opioid pain killers pull the moisture from your system and make aeverything dry up and stop. Hideous.

But  - both kinds of elimination were effected.

I've talked about bowels - the Norco started a chain reaction that is staying with me today. Extremely severe constipation, dealt with in an rather extreme fashion - even after prune juice, stool softeners and Senikot laxative. "Digital extraction". We're not talking about electronic devices. Digit means, in this case your finger. Or your nurse's. It's embarrassing or, whether your nurse does it, of hands you a bag of rubber gloves to deal with it yourself (I chose the latter) to do it yourself, really uncomfortable - no = REALLY PAINFUL, followed by REALLY PAINFUL pushing. Repeat as needed. Peristalsis (the natural movement of your bowels) is also effected - it was really awful. And the end result ( did I really just make that terrible pun? Yes. Yes I did) is - sorry - but a realllly wicked case of hemorrhoids, and a companion of a nasty, itching and stinging rash. That comes and goes, still today. I go through copious amounts of creams and unguents. Sitzbaths are supposed to help - but lordy they take time, and the water sloshes all over the bathroom. So I try to stay properly fed and hydrated and well-regular (including Metamucil once a day, now), so - less pushing, less irritation, less losing of sleep due to burning and wretched itching.

For my second surgery I was SUPER vigilant about this - taking Metamucil three times a day in the hospital and for weeks after. It's just good ol' fiber, ad for me, had to be gluten free, so this was the choice. But I was still a little bound up after surgery #2, so I chose to stop it in it's tracks when I realized I was pushing harder than was comfortable, called the nurse in and asked her to glove up. This time, it was MUCH less painful, as I had not let it get so far advanced. It was quick, and handled the issue. After that every movement was wryly celebrated. It all sounds gross and embarrassing and sort of taboo - but you just don't realize until you deal with this how wretched it is.
So I thought it would be a good idea to just lay the cards on the table and share it.

You can also get some urinary issues - you are weakened from the surgery and being prone even for a bit, and not being to move as strongly for the first few weeks - while pain is relatively minimal after surgery, there is still some pain and weakness. ALL of this is handled by your faithful devotion to your physical therapy - always. Always. Never skip it. Get in the habit and stay in it, no matter what you have to do.
No one reading this is busier than I. I don't get enough sleep, I hustle to work, jet home, grab and scarf  (home cooked in advance) food, zoom off to rehearsal and come home beat, but have to wind down after rehearsal - no sleep happens immediately.


BUT - I do my physical therapy in bed before I get up, I do toe lifts and leg lifts to the side at the bathroom sink brushing my teeth, other standing stretches and balance exercise at my work desk, stretch through the day, and do my routine again after I lie down at night. If it's 1:30 am, I'll be turning out the lights at 1:30 - AFTER PT. Even if the kitty wants to snuggle - I snuggle her while I do my routine.
And - putting your abs and deep breathing/Kiegels into it (I learned this with Pilates Physical Therapy before I knew I needed new hips) will bring back the muscle tone in your bladder and ladyparts. Or, manparts! I usually speak from the feminine POV as I am in fact a woman - but I'm certainly not sexist, and these issues can be universal!

In the last few weeks, I have noticed that what had been reduced to a pathetic tinkle after surgery (and some occasional incontinence issues, due to moving slowly) has returned to a strong stream - meaning the muscles around my bladder are good and strong again, and all is working like gangbusters! One key is, not waiting. If you feel the urge, stop what you're doing and go to the loo. The only exception I must make is when I'm on stage. I go thoroughly before the show and at intermission... it would be bad form to make an unscheduled exit. No more incontinence, either(I am grateful this was short-lived and mild). 

So - I hope this little down-to-the-nitty-gritty post has been of help. If it is offensive - I think that might be your own issue, as these are all completely natural body functions - I apologize for offending. But I don't apologize for sharing good information, as delicately put as I could.

Fiber is your Friend! 


Good luck, fellow travelers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!