Wednesday, March 5, 2014

3/4/2014 Hips improving, Normal, and Higher Bars

My friend Deborah's hip replacement went even better than mine! 
she walked around 40 steps this morning, and is feeling good - "no hip pain!" it's what we all say after the surgery - even though you have  had surgery and there is a healing incision, the fact that you are no longer in that deep, intense pain is profound. Even though at the beginning it takes a little time and physical therapy to get the joint mobile again - well, duh - it's just had surgery! - the difference is enormous You can put weight on it and walk with the walker, and it's pretty fantastic. 

I'm keeping in touch with her via Facebook - she was "liking" and posting within a few minutes of getting situated in her room - I was, too as I recall! 
She's getting rest - it is a pretty tired first couple of days, and you sleep a lot between visits from nurses, phlebotomists coming to take blood and make sure you're using your little breathing machine, and wiggling your feet (to prevent blood clotting), and using the toilet, etc., you still get a little rest. I had my own room the second time - it was GREAT! My roomie was a great roomie the first time, I got lucky -  but a single, quiet room? When I first got there, I kept waiting for them to bring my roomie - and they pointed out that there was only one bed (To be fair, there was a curtain!) 
I was afraid for about 4 seconds that I'd be lonely. HA! Facebook and visitors gave me the outside world and company when I wanted it - plus all those nice (and they WERE so nice!) medical professionals on parade! I felt so lucky - an dlater the nurse who assigns rooms told me "I just thought you'd appreciate you onw room." :) I'm still friends with my roomie on FB - so I am pretty sure I didn't get any write up in my records or anything! :D She was just really nice to me, and I thanked her sincerely.
That's why going home with a companion if you possibly can is go great - rest! You set your own schedule - you sleep when you ned to, eat when you need to, and good food... the food was the only issue I had, and mostly because I am Gluten-free and they don't really know how to do that (IN A HOSPITAL. WITH A "NUTRITIONIST"?!?) so what I got, though gluten-free was shameful. undressed gluten free pasta, vegetables and rice. Because apparently ALL of their meats are prepared with wheat products. So - post-surgery, and NO Protein - oh, except for the can of Ensure (shudder - FULL of sugar and chemicals) they insisted I try, and the milk they gave me - my stomach was a little woozy from the Norco, and milk was NOT an interest. 


Oh, but I do digress.

Oh, yes. Debbie is doing great! HUrrah! 

Work was fine - I went on a couple of errands after work, and it occurred to me after I had gone to the Chiropractor, stopped at the Walgreen's for various items including cat litter (heavy box), and the pet department store for Electra's special (and thank goodness not expensive!) cat food, as I was stopped at the gas station preparing to swing by the post office to mail the rent... 

Normal. Just ONE of those stops would have been absolutely exhausting and excruciating before, and I would have had to call a friend to bring up the groceries - any of them, since I needed to a;ways use the rails and support/haul myself up the steps. Tonight when I got home, I left the cat litter in the car to bring up tomorrow after work (as I won't have other parcels), put all of my purchases in one big sturdy shopping bag I have, put my string backpack on and my purse strap over my head, and carried it up the stairs with my cane in the other hand for support. The cane which I use only about 30% of the time, now.  Hi, Normal - hello, ability to do the tasks I need to do in life! 

I still need to vacuum. I hate vacuuming. But, as I CAN vacuum now, I'll find my nice Gratitude smile and pull up my big girl panties and DO it, tomorrow evening or on the weekend. It NEEDS it. 

My Chiropractor, Dr. March was really touched, and delighted at how amazingly I am doing! I was in turn touched, too, and very grateful for all that he's done for me. He was there every week for several years as I tried everything I knew to be successful to keep my body upright - and he was really glad to see me again! Likewise - first, because he does good work and he's a really nice guy,  always a pleasure to see him - but also, because he was able to really help fix the mess I'd made of everything BUT my hips when I took that tumble Saturday night after the show. I feel much better now. I think I'll wake up even less sore - hurrah! 

I just realized that I have only took two Tylenol today - this morning. I forgot both the afternoon dose and the  before-bed one. Last night I didn't sleep great, so I hope that won't be the case tonight, too - but I'm going to leave it - give my kidneys and liver a little break. 

Had a nice wee blether with Jt hearing daily Goings-on in Paradise - so enjoyable! 
He reminded me to always be setting my bar higher. I appreciate the reminder and encouragement deeply, and asked him to continue to nudge me. 
I am all about setting the bar higher now! I don't just want my old life back. I want it back and BETTER. That's not greed - that is fulfilling my potential, because Life is REALLY GREAT! And I have a really wonderful life - but who says that it can't be even better? NO ONE! 

Of to sleep - good night Hipsters!! :D 

-Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!