Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Eve - 12/31/2013

Today I was able to show my PT Shawna that I can bend over safely and comfortably to pick up anything from the floor.
We worked on the pelvic tilt exercises, and i was much improved on strength and accuracy just from Friday!
Also, my right hip flexor is much improved as well! 
With just a little PNF work- she noticed that I am already MUCH stronger! - I was able to drop BOTH hip joint all the way out, with only a little tension on the right, knees bent in full "frog" position!!
Another huge goal I have been working and working on for SO long! Nearly full flexibility is a beautiful gift for the New Year!
I'm so glad I get three more PT sessions with her!
She checked my gait and was happy with my progress!
We are focusing down and honing in on the details and fine-tuning of my strengthening and proper body mechanics. Sometimes you need a second, educated eye to be sure you are lined up well and getting maximum benefit from the hard work. 

We went for a walk with the cane, a bit further than before, about 3/4 of a block. We came back and checked and video taped the turn of my right ankle as I walked with and without my new orthotics, so I can keep aware of how I am progressing. It was very helpful, and encouraging! I like the stability I am feeling with the orthotics.
I also got onto the recumbent exercise bike and she checked my form, and all was well! Starting with about five minutes at a time and slowly increasing as I can. :) 

So great!

Shawna left and I iced up and took a nap until the rerun of the "Call the Midwife Christmas Special", which I'm enjoying now!
Then off to a movie with friends under my own power, driving and using the cane.

And tonight, a New Year's party at friend's four blocks away! One cocktail early-on, and a sip at the Bells, and home again safely. 


*******************************
Later in the day: 


This afternoon, I got myself together and got in my car alone for the first time in over a month, drove easily and comfortable to the local movie theatre, and met friends for a movie! The walk from the car to the theatre and then back was longer that I was quite ready for, and I overdid it a bit, but I think it's OK! I was smart and brought in my doughnut pillow. It made for more comfortable sitting as the movie was 2 1/2 hours long, but good (we saw American Hustle) 

The fatiigue  made me a little more hesitant to go out for the new year's party my friends have four blocks away, but I am missing some of my dear ones just now, feeling a touch emotional, and should get out and see friends. 
I'll have a small cocktail and then, at the Bells, a sip of my traditional - good Single Malt Scotch with a wee drop or two of water from Loch Lomond. 

I can hear the early fireworks in the distance over the river in Od Sacramento, now. :) 
(And a lot of really effing stupid gun fire. So, SO stupid!!! Sigh.) 

I'm dressed up and about to head out for the party - hoping I can make it to the Bells. 

************
1:14 AM 1/1/2014
Made it the two hours to midnight, and got to see a lot of friends. Of course I saw a lot of young friends get really, REALLY drunk... aah well. They were in for the night. Good to spend it among old pals, never the less! 
Headed home not long after midnight - many hugs were had, and I realized that I *did* over do it today at the movie house. Just too many steps from car to theatre and back. 
AND - this is a thing one comes across when one is using a cane or walker, and not a wheelchair - 
there was no elevator to the second floor, but there was a niiiice lonnnnnggg ramp. 
What people don't understand when you are on a cane or walker is that a ramp is great for wheelchairs... but it is torture for cane/walker users - a LOT more steps, and that grade is murder. So it was yet another set of stairs... three stair trips at home today, one at the movies, and one at the party. Haven't made that many in a long time. Off to bed soon!

Ah, dammit - just realized - I didn't remember to take my midnight Tylenol dose. Probably as much to blame as the big day, but not a great combo for pain. 

At least tomorrow there is not one thing on my calendar. I can relax, sleep as much as I like, and take it all at my own pace. 

I'd LOVE to take a bubble bath, but I'm not comfortable getting up and down from the floor (or by extension, a tub) yet, and that's what we plan to add to Friday's physical therapy. 
Perhaps a Sherlock Marathon for New Year's Day! :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!