Thursday, January 30, 2014

January 28 and 29 2014

I missed posting here yesterday - got to bed far too late. 
It was not a hugely remarkable day - a little stiff and sore, but able to get around - at this phase, I am pretty stiff when I first get up, but once I get moving, I can glide along pretty well... just the TINIEST bit of leaning on the cane makes a BIG difference. I wish I could pinpoint it so I could take care of it! 
I start Physical Therapy again next Wednesday ( I was thining it was THIS week, drat!) 
 Dearly hoping it gets me moving in that last phase , to ever-reduced pain and stability. 

I know I know I know - it takes time, and there's paitience required, and I need to do this RIGHT, and I'll need the cane off and on for a while... 
But I am needing to get some things accomplished, and dearly hoping for some next-level improvement, soon. 

I discovered yesterday that one of my heros, Pete Seeger, died. He was 94, but - the world is less without him. I hope his legacy carries on and on and on. 

Not much else happened yesterday - not much in the way of epiphanies or discoveries, though my hips do get more flexible and limber to the outside and the inside every day, 
I haven't iced in a week or more., and I think that may be making a difference. You know - once you get feeling a god bit better, if not all the way, sometimes you just want a little NORMAL. 
It's winter, and frankly packing down in ice, particularly in the warm core area in the inner crook of your hip - ok, AKA crotch - isn't very comfortable. ANd I seem to have misplaced my heat pack. It's *somewhere* ... but I really ned to get back to ice. 

This morning I made it out the door pretty fast. I AM enjoying that - and getting across the lawn/berm and sidewalk and off the curb to the car without it being a big obstacle-y ordeal. I keep my eyes open, and pay attention still, but I can just get over there and into the car. 
It rained today, and as Shuana pointed out, it was kind of great that it waited until I am getting around better to not be such a concern - wet pavement. I negotiated puddles just fine, and no worries. 

I *did* have some trouble with a heavy door at rehearsal tonight - that theatre building is FULL of ne refurbished doors that are VERY heavy and really stiff to open! I had it, but some how I got the damn quad cane tangled ot caught and tripped - just a little hitch-step, but it wasn't fun or comfortable. Not awful - but you always get a little flash of "What if that had been worse??" 
I THINK I am past the stage where the hip replacement class training nurse was telling us that even a hitch-steptype of trip, which I did in fact do, was dangerous and could cause problems - but them I counted again today, and you know - it is WEIRD that it  has been less than two months. Just, flat WEIRD. 

At least I know that if I fall, I can now get back up on my own - of course, If I fell in front of the cast and crew, there would be a half dozen or more people there in a heartbeat to off help and be sure I was OK... it's how theatre people work - but I'll be perfectly content not to test that, thank you. 

I don't know why, but my ankle swelled for the first time in ages tonight. Perhaps because I had to stand a while longer that I am used to waiting for someone to open the door into the shortest path into the theatre - we also ended up starting out in the main theatre, so it was a bit longer walk. 
I sit too long in rehearsal too - and perhaps I will try one of the folding fabric -cushioned seats, instead of the molded plastic rolling ones, which are comfortable, but the pressure on the back of my legs might be too much just now. 

Good music rehearsal tonight. we got through about half of it, growing it and polishing it... and getting it recorded to rehearse with, too. 

I've been up much too late for too many nights in a row... I'm for pt and bed. 

Dearly hoping I am not as sore tomorrow as I have been for a few days. 
Perhaps (if I remember) I'l but a heat pack on my knee tomorrow. 

'Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!