Tuesday, January 21, 2014

1/21/2014 A Bit of a Rant... and Back in the Theatre


Today it happened again. An event which always infuriates me - and though I don't like being that angry, I think, at least, annoyance is justified.
I walk with a cane and a limp, still. 
At work, walking from my desk to the bathroom (In fairly urgent need - busy afternoon, holding it too long), to discover two empty regular stalls, but the disabled stall is occupied. Usually, the person inside perceives (Probably from the sound of the cane on the floor) that someone is in need of the stall, and finishes up and I can use in in decent time. I'm OK with that.
But this person was clearly camped for the duration.
Causing me to have to LEAVE the bathroom, take the elevator downstairs to another one, and wait THERE for the person who was finishing up in *that* disabled stall (The other stall was empty in the smaller downstairs bathroom).
It is usually the same one or two people (I have seen them leave, and saw one of them leave on my way back to my desk). Do they not *get* that they are causing someone else distress or pain, or is it that they just don't care? Likely, it is somewhere in the middle - they think the odds are small that the people (there is more than one person here who is in need of the disabled stall) who need the rails/elevated seat won't come in while they are parked there to have a nice long relaxed dump. May she thinks, "My taxes paid for it - I'm gonna use it, dammit!!!" Isn't that nice, and entitled? Mine did, too, and I freaking NEED it.
Again I say it - it's not the Luxury Suite, or the Poo Room, ot the "Because I paid for it!" room. It is the Disabled stall - and the reason people need that particular kind of stall is that they cannot physically USE the ones with no rail and low toilets.
NOT just in case they have a wheelchair, or even a walker (though that was my need for six months), but because they NEED the rail and elevated seat to actually get up from the toilet - without pain - but also sometimes, AT ALL.
There have been, over the last many months, a few times in some places (mostly private homes) that I had a very hard time getting up, and was thinking I'd have to call someone to help me up. Not the end of the world - but certainly no fun, not really an option in a public restroom. 
I am better able to do it now, though it is still challenging and somewhat painful, but when it is a provided facility, I would really like to have it available - for me OR ANYONE ELSE who needs it! Someone might be recovering from abdominal surgery… a broken leg… other orthopedic issues, or have arthritis. And not just older people - it is invisible, often, the physical need for the disabled facilities.

I just wish people would get out of their little self-centered worlds enough to understand that they are causing others difficulty.
I guarantee that, once I am fully mobile and no longer in pain, I will never use it, and I will retire my disabled parking placard and gladly, thankfully walk the block or two. But I am grateful for the people who fought for the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

OK - rant over. 
Otherwise it was an allright day, Up and out the door for an annual company meeting near work, then a somewhat hectic workday, and a rehearsal this evening. I am tired, but perhaps a little less-so as time goes on. 
Singing again is rewarding, and it feels wonderful to set foot in a theatre again - smell the space (each theatre has its own smell, and it tends to smell like Home to actors and technicians)  and the sawdust as I walk through the scene shop, and the energy of the enthusiastic young actors and musicians... I am happy there again. 

I have had a little concern about my left hip - more pain and that slight, faint pop... I may just wait the month until my next post-surgery X-rays and  check with Dr, Smith... it seems to have subsided a bit today, and that's good. 
I may check in with the Physical Therapist I am seeing next week... 
But it if continues to bother me, I will definitely check with Dr, Smith via email. Still mostly successful at not letting it be a worry - but the balance of keeping a mindful eye on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!