Saturday, January 25, 2014

1/24/2014 There's Life in the Ol' Girl Yet! A Fine Friday


It has been  seven weeks since my second Hip Replacement on the right, and 22.5 weeks (a bit over 5 1/2 months) since my first hip replacement on the left. I know it has been a while, when suddenly I am not totally aware of how long it has been and had to stop to count the weeks. I like that. 

A much better day at work - Changes are, as changes will do, ironing out their kinks, flowing more smoothly - it makes for a much happier everyone. 

SO many people at work notice and comment, "Look at you go!", "Wow - you're really MOVING!", 
"Hey, Speed Racer!" 
It feels really good. But I have to say, nothing so far has felt as good as this evening. I had plans with friends Mel and Gary with whom I got re-aquanted after many years away,  in the last six months or so - genuinely Good people. Creative, funny, great story tellers - I love them. They are also old friends of my close friend, Jt, and we have all been trying to get together and reunite them, too. Well, yesterday, I checked with Jt, *just on the off chance* that his crazy work schedule might have opened up - and sure as hell - it did! Last minute miracle! 

Which is all very lovely - but the thing is - this is the first time I've seen Jt since just before surgery #2 - we had a great day visiting then, and life has been crazy from both angles. 
So - this is the first time he had seen me without a walker in six months, let alone walking under my own power. He's been one of my most important Angels through this whole process - so incredibly supportive and given me so much advice, training, body mechanics knowledge - it has made a huge difference in my process and recovery. 
This evening he called to let me know he was on his way, but had hit traffic. He let me know where he was, and I told him, "Well, I'm changing from my work clothes, so I should be ready when you get here" (about five - ten minutes). 
Sez he (He is funny and cheeky - read this that way), "Yeah, sure - I know how slowly you move!" 
Sez me, "Oh, NO you don't!!" 
Jt(with a laugh): "Oh - well, I guess you're right, now!" 
I laughed. Told him, "The door's open, come on in when you get here." 

And when he walked in the door, and I was SO EXCITED to be able to leave that cane standing where it was and walk right up to greet him, the look on his face was a treasure. He gives the best hugs on the planet, and tonight's were great and abundant and appreciated. He *gets* it. And he was truly, totally delighted for me. It takes a lot to impress him, and he was fully admittedly, Impressed!! He's seen me go from, "Um - it seems I can't stand with my feet together for that grounding exercise in singing you wanted me to try - in fact, not any closer than about a foot. Hm," about four years ago, and then going places with me many times when we had to deal with the walker, and where to park, and logistics and pain and limitations and what I could NOT do (always graciously, patiently, kindly and yet, NORMALLY - no pity, just understanding)  to where I am today - with such reduced pain and increased ability, it really is pretty amazing. And he *GETS IT*. And each time I showed him that I could, indeed put my feet together, or cross my left leg over my right (The right will come soon!), or swivel one knee outward or inward - and especially when I just got down and sat on the floor a moment , and then got back up again all on my own, he celebrated it with me. 
Did I mention the thing about him getting it? Because he does. 
And did I mention that, as we were going out for dinner - I wore my new HEELS for the first time!? They are low, comfortable, but pretty black patent leather Mary-Jane pumps - and it was wonderful to wear them with no problem at all. 

We had a splendid evening with Mel and Gary - as I was absolutely certain it would be, it was merry, jolly, a little raunchy as Theatrefolk can be, and full of stories and laughter and teasing and fun! The first, I trust, of many! I am not feeling over-tired - rather, energized! After dinner, which was on the patio and did get pretty chilly by the end of the night - we re-convened at my apartment and continued with more very fine conversation - what a fun, funny, bloody SMART group of people! I love them. 

My spark is rekindling, and it feels glorious! Life. It is very, very good. 

If you are about to go through a hip replacement - this is what you have to look forward to! A VERY short period of post-op pain - which is likely less than that pain you had before surgery. A little frustration for a short time, as you long to get your abilities back - then a little time with patience and tenacity with your physical therapy - and your life comes flooding back. A first it's gradual - but then it accelerates. Be VERY mindful, and diligent, and always check in to see of you are over-doing it. If you are, give yourself a quiet day then next day and pull back just a little notch... Never skip your Physical Therapy routine, but don't walk as much or as far, perhaps, you will know what you need to adjust... but know that as your life gets better and your body heals and pain decreases, your spirit soars, your happiness increases as your health does. You will not regret it, if you pay attention and take good care of yourself. You get one chance to get it right. If you do, it is like a long series of little and big miracles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!