Tuesday, January 7, 2014

1/6/2014 Celebration, and Relaxation


In the middle of the night, I unlocked a secret to walking when I went to the bathroom from my room - it's about 15 fee down the hall and a good place to gauge such things. 
It turns out that, at this point in my recovery (Be careful with this!! Make sure you are ready if you are recovering from hip surgery!!!)  the faster I walk, thus putting less weight on the sore leg ad less actuall stress/work the more evenly and comfortable I can walk, an dthe gait becomes smoother and more stabe. Just realized that at about 2:42 AM - it was a good-sized epiphany that sort of took a moment to bloom in my sleepy head! 

Got up , got coffee and did a fine round of PT this morning - stronger and less pain every day, and more flex, looser joints! Loving this! 

I joined my friend Gay to get celebratory Ice Cream - We are two of the Bionic Sisters in our theatre community - she is recovering from an elbow replacement with severe RA, and I with my two new hips! 
When she walked in my place and saw me walk across the floor without the cane to show her I could, she cheered, laughed, danced and cried and hugged and huged me!  EXACTLY how I've felt with each major improvement! I love it when someone TOTALLY Understands and GETS IT. ANd I felt the same way to get a two - armed hug from her - she has a lot more work to do, but driving and moving that arm around are BIG landmarks!! 
Everyone is happy for me and I am not saying they are under-reacting - but when someone has experienced such situations, there is an empathy there that is like no other! We had a little mini-party and headed out to good old Gunther's for Ice cream. 
1. It's great home-made Ice Cream, and 2, A proper adult beverage (In moderation)  will come later, when there aren't as many medications involved and we're a bit more solid. 

Then we took a lovely walk - I went about 3/4 of a block, and that was just plenty! 
Then I came in, downloaded a few photos and laid down for a good nap! 

Up and about now, did more stretches and a few PT reps, and I plan to get on the exercise bike after dinner. 

Also planning to download and watch the second episode of Sherlock :) 
*******************************************************
3:11 am - I'm finally getting to bed... I really need to get back out of this late late habit before the end of the week, when I return to work. It's in my nature - but then one must go to work! 

I didn't make it to the new episode of Sherlock, but watched first two episodes again. 
Always something more to see! Got some knitting progress done on a little project, as well. 

But I DID make a delicious dinner - Lap Xiang Chinese sausage and chard, sauteed an dover a bed of mashed/pureed cauliflower with a little carrot, coconut milk and butter. It really was divine! 

I also did about 13 minutes on the exercise bike - not too stiff afterward! Go, me! 

Night, then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!