Monday, January 20, 2014

1/19/2014 A Fine Sunday



My Facebook status this afternoon"We discovered a few weeks after my second hip surgery that, when my sister would hear me make this sort of low throaty chuckle from another room, it was because I was discovering yet another ability I had regained. Stepping in and out of the tub without leaning on the grab bar, being able to stand with my feet together, an increase in my range of motion, leaning down to pick something up from the floor (Not use a grabber to pick it up), put pants on with no pain, suddenly being able to sleep on my side, etc., etc., etc. It still happens - such as just a minute ago, when I finished another trip down the hall without my cane - a lot of that today, with less of a limp and less pain. It's been a sore couple of days, and this is great. I love it. That kinda naughty-sounding chuckle is really just a thrilled registration that it Just Keeps Gettin' Better. Lately, these moments are coming at just the right time, when I'm thinking, "Crap. It's been a rough couple of days... maybe I'm going to plateau for a while..." I appreciate that timing.
I think I'll go take a little walk. before the sun goes down. Cheers!"

I did indeed take that walk, a full two blocks at a brisk pace, an ACTUAL brisk pace - no creeping along any more - and at leas a third of it was just carrying the cane, not using it, with good balance, very slight limp and little pain - mostly of that in the right knee. THEN I ascended the stairs - reciprocating the whole way! It was a lovely evening, too. 
It felt really great!

My friend who had borrowed my car yesterday dove up just as I was arriving - I kind of had a feeling she might! The only parking space was on the corner - four spaces / 1/4 block back from my ideal space, which is right in front up my apartment - and I was so pleased to find that there was no worry about that at all! An easy walk from the stairs there for tomorrow morning! A very different outlook, indeed! More than a space further either way has struck worry into my heart for so long. Pain is a nasty monster. 
I had a lovely visit with Deanna and then she went on her way, getting a ride home from her roomie who was working nearby - perfect! 

In the evening, I made tacos and watched Downton Abbey - two episodes - and the - the Season 3 US /PBS Premiere of Sherlock! Even though I've watched them online already, it was a delight to watch them with my friends, checking in a bit with each other on Facebook. Good fun! The Game's afoot, indeed! 
I sat on the couch to watch the whole two hours ( Including a post show 1/2 hour behind the scenes special - dessert!) - First time I've sat on the couch since surgery #2 - it's that modern low furniture thing - and it felt wonderfully comfy! No problem getting up off of it, either! :) Lovely to sit a bit closer than my recliner, and just have a wee change of scene! SYmbolic of it all, too - a bit more Normal. 

And now it's very, very late, and I have work AND a music rehearsal tomorrow - so off to be with me! 
But that was great fun, and I am always for great fun! There has been far too little of it for far too long! 

Night, night, luvs! 
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!