Sunday, January 12, 2014

1/11/2013 Getting Out Into the World... Successes and Lessons Learned

Today's facebook status:
"I bade goodbye to my wonderful home care a physical therapist today. She is great at her job, but also compassionate and kind, but gently encouraging. I am deeply grateful for the progress she brought me through. Looks like I'lll be doing a bit more outpatient PT, and I'm very happy to get that bit more help to get me through to full mobility - but a special thanks to this one!"

I walked about two blocks with Shauna (Now I discover all this time, the correct spelling of her name!) and she gave me several new stretches and exercises and an exercise band to continue me on my way to improvement. 
I was really sad to say goodbye, but i hope to cross paths again. She asked me to let her know when I have shows coming up, and I will. A delightful person and skilled physical therapist, and I've been lucky to be under her care for both surgeries. 

I spent the afternoon relaxing, did a bit of music work, watched a bit of tv, and made a trip to the Natural Foods Co-op for groceries- it seems that one's supplements always run out at once. Pricey trio, but all good things. 
I used the motorized cart - it's OK to do that until I am comfortable to go in on foot, but Safeway was a bad idea yesterday. I should have used the cart, but didn't lesson learned... soon enough. 


I met my friend Amanda to see a concert by the Wailin' Jennies, a fantastic trio of women who sing and play wonderful music. We took my car because I have the placard, but of course, downtown's disabled parking spaces are few an far between - so, into the parking garage and a block and a half walk. 
Then a lovely dinner next door to the theatre, and standing in line for the ticket taker and again for the loo.... I was pretty tired - and then of course the diasbled toilet was out of order, thank goodness i can now at least deal with the low toilet and get up from it leaning on the cane. Not easy, but possible. 
We realized that our seats were 17 rows up in the balcony. Beautiful old Art Nouveau vintage theatre - no rails in the balcony. They have accessible seating,but we hadn't thought about it when buying discounted tickets.
Thank goodness I'm bold enough to ask for help- 

PLEASE - Always ask for help if you need it. Pride will only cost you in pain. 
I wouldn't take advantage of my condition- I never will - but it was truly legitimate. The idea of trying to make my way up was nearly tear-inducing after all the walking and standing I'd already done. The lovely helpful usher only needed to see my cane - I asked, "Do you think it would be possible for m to..." And he immediately said, "Yes! It would! Let me get the pson in charge of ticket changes..." And I asked, "Might my friends sit with me?" And he said yes! 
So he came back a bit later with three comfortable padded folding chairs and added them to the disabled seating area, with makes up the ninth row of the theatre! It was fortunate that they could help, and especially that it was great seats! The concert was stellar, the girls walked me back to the parking lot- it wasn't easy for me, but it was't terrible. Home I drove, up the stairs and in. Iced plenty, watched a bit more telly... 

I must remember that Normal is still a bit modified. Consider the venue, consider the walking distance, etc. 

I found out that my first rehearsal for "Cannery Row" is this Tuesday, and found a new Youtube video made by our guitarist for one of our songs- the game is afoot! 

Now to check the campus map and see where I can find the nearest disabled parking to the theatre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!