Saturday, January 4, 2014

1/4/2014 A BIG Day of Breakthroughs - Maybe THE Biggest Breakthrough!

1:04 PM
Today's current Facebook status: 
"So - BREAKTHROUGH! - I was just in the loo and weighing myself - needed a pencil to write it down... I just decided to leave the cane in the bathroom, 'cause it was only about 20 steps and back. No. Problem!!!! Mild limp, maybe a 2-3 on the pain scale... so I wrote down my weight, took the pencil back, and came back to my room to get dressed - nothing but ME!!! No cane! 
I'm REALLY, REALLY HAPPY!!!! Giddy, even!! I may need it some more, but this is the first time it's been - "Oh, hey - walking... not leaning on ANYTHING!!!"
Ki yi yippee yi ay, muthah-****ers!!! 


My weight is down about 3-4 lbs since surgery #2, as well!

Oh, man - this is the best. :D I was walking and laughing allll the way down the hall! 
This is one of my most important goals, - BOOM! Achieved!!! 

What a thing! I'm so goofy about it, I don't even quite know what to write! Celebrate with me, won't you?!?? Wheeeeeeeee!! 

I WILL say - what a feeling - fear is GONE - the fear of not having the apparatus of the hour close at hand. Wow. this is so huge, I can barely contain it!! 



Added 7:15 PM

Also - I put on pants from a standing position. That was actually the Big Accomplishment this morning, until the Walking thing. Happy doesn't even begin to describe this!!! 

I had to go pick up my BP medication and some toilet paper. The weather was GORGEOUS, so I didn't even have to use a sweater. I went down the stairs - reciprocating all the way(one foot per step, one over the other)! 
Got through the drug store, got my medication - realized toilet paper was FOURTEEN DOLLARS - and went to Safeway for it at half the price! So- two stores, a little sore, but not very bad. 

Reciprocated back up about half the stairs!! Up is much trickier! 
Got down on the floor (and back up)  by myself and did my PT on the floor - better than the bed, more supportive... I can suddenly lift my right thigh just about as high as the much-longer-healed left one! That has been tough - that set of thigh muscles were not so happy about getting pushed around! 

Friends and family have been celebrating via social media and text and phone with me. It feels so good to share the good news and get the lovely cheering and support - it makes the "Pinch me is this real?!?? " factor a little less - yep - it's REAL!! 

I am so excited that I have one more week to really get back up and strong and truly moving wellbefore returning to work! Also, to get a single cane, maybe a collapsable one. The quad cane has been very helpful, but now that I'm mostly using it for balance, and not all the time, it is too much. I tend to kick it as I move faster and more smoothly, and that's not safe. 

The baby steps are moving through medium steps and about to become some serious strides!! 

I texted my PT to tell her the news, because she is great, and very invested in her patients. She sent a great and truly supportive reply - once again, I am so grateful for my medical care!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!