Monday, December 9, 2013

Second Surgery in-hospitl notes Day 1 -12/3/13


12/3/13

Toni and Mariam came- separate cars. With all my stuff
Forgot my glasses -mariam dashed home to get them
Slowish check in, but then straight to pre-op - first just Toni in with me to start

Dressed, got all the vitals, blood drawn etc... Met the anesthesiologist who seemed very spacey, but of course was very good at his job.

After drugs were started, Mariam was allowed to join us. It was good to have my team cheering for me! The hospital kept my bag of clothes to take to my room. 

Wheeled into OR, where they administered the epidural - I remember it this time, but it wasn't  bad. It stung, but went just fine. That's all I remember.

Woke up about 4 pm. 
Much longer surgery and recovery  than first time. Dr., .Smith knew what to expect with the hip dysplasia this time, and had more srulpting to do on the socket/acetabulum, packe the area well with my boe dust, and used three screws instead of 2 this time.
But it my memory of waking up was about the time I could feel my toes, and not long after-  
Up to my ..PRIVATE ROOM !!! 
Toni and Mariam hung out with me for a while . I sent Marian home to sleep.

Jacquie my PT came in and got me on my feet and stepping sideways a bit ! 

then Toni unpacked a few things an then went home. 

Good nurses! Theresa remembered me! She left soon and shift turned over Eventually to Larry- great guy! 

No dilauded used OR morphine!!  (later I heawrd there may have been dilauded the forst bit - not certain now). 

My fingers get numb when I use the phone too long - gets better when I use pt stretches/  on them. (Leter I foudn this was easily remedied by putting the phone downfrequently, and doing my old carpal tunnel tendon glides.

Started with low bp and temp , but slowly rising... In fact it was  99 or so last time/ no big concern .  

I start with breakfast tomorrow(today, wed. Actually!)- not liquid lunch - straight to solid foods!
Probably two norco with breakfast because PT is after that.  Poo.
I need to sleep some . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!