Saturday, December 28, 2013

Saturday 12/28/2013 - Kaleidoscope of Emotion!

Saturday - a lovely Saturday!
I slept well for the time I slept (to bed very late again), and then was up to take morning Tylenol at 8 am.
Did my new PT routine, with lots of pelvic tilts and abdominal support and Pilates breathing! 

I rolled to the RIGHT side for the first time an snoozed a bit before it got  bit sore, and then to the left for a good bit and slept a little more. 
It feels incredible to sleep on anything but my back with a pillow under my right knee in more than a year for the first time!! 

Up, made coffee and was dressed and ready when my friends Ann and Krissy dropped in for a while. 
Toni slept in a bit, and starte packing and made some phone clls to friends while we visited. 
Then she took a nap - she's been staying up later than usual to share time together, and I have appreciated it! 

She got up again around 1:30 and made us sandwiches for lunch - she has doen a great job of making sure I know pretty well what's in the fridge and freezer - lots and lots of leftovers will keep me well fed for at least a week, maybe more, and I need to cook up  the fresh vegetables for the first few, as they are reaching their limit soon. I can't wait to cook up the chards and kale we just got!! CRAVING greens!! 
One more meal is coming from my friend April Monday, and then it's all me - and I feel READY! 

I've only used the cane since I got up! The first few steps tend to be a little stiff, but after a few steps, it evens out and the pain is quite manageable, and my gait is getting better and better, 
THEN! - I told Toni, "Watch this" - and I picked up the cane and took about 8 limping but very real steps!!! 
We went for one more walk together in the amazing, warm December sunshine - this time, it was ALL cane - NO walker - this is a big deal, as the timing is perfect - I can now take MYSELF for my walks! I have reduced to distance back again, and will once again increase each day, but this is a whole new ball game!! We walker to the left of my stairs to T street, about a quarter block, across the street, and up again to just across the street, so about 3/4 of a clock total. Up the stairs, no problem, getting reasonabl comfortable. My knee is what tires most, first, so i just gear it carefully. 
I had Toni take a video, of course. This is HUGE landmark which needs trumpet fanfares!!!! 
All day I've been able to pick up the cane and take 15 or so limpy but real STEPS, un-supported!! 

Toni took some time to get a shower, pack up her last things, and make sure I didn't need anything else. 
Then off she drove, and I won't likely see her again for the next year or two! We talk very often on the phone, but after this experience, it is leaving a very tight place in the back of my throat to see her go. 
I tarted to tear up when we hugged goodbye, and we were both trying to be Big Brave Women and not cry... we sort of succeeded - ish. And now I'm making up for it with a few tears! I am so grateful I can never say it enough... I wrote her a card and folded her an origami crane in thanks... she keeps telling me I don't need to thank her again, and it's OK - but I can't help but be overwhelmed with gratitude for all she has done for me, and Mariam before her for Sugery #1 and also help this time too, and all the amazing friends who have come to help look after me, bring food, visit with laughs and flowers and good cheer, suport ALL over Facebook - I am so blessed I don't even know what to do!!!! 

The house is very quiet. A good thing and a little bit lonesome thing, at once. At least Mariam and the other friends all live around here... but, Toni will be back! It's time for her to go relax, visit friends, work her way up the state and into Oregon at a leisurely pace, and visit our sister Pat over New Year's. 

I'm thinking that by Monday when I go to see Dr. Smith, I just MAY be able to deal with the distance from the car to X-ray, then to the elevator and then up the hall to his office with just the cane... I REALLY want to!!! The other option would be save energy, take the wheelchair they offer at valet parking up, then send it back down and cane walk in to see him. :) It will be the first time he's ever seen me WALK! I usually have been in the wheelchair at his office for ease of gettign around an dnot having to deal with the walker! 
It seems more and more likely that my worry bout needing an extra week off before returning to work is unfounded. I remember the great progress the first time, but this one improved initially more slowly, so I was feeling that the whole process woudl be slower... not suddenly FLASH by to play catch-up!!! :D 

I am a person of deep emotions (Had you noticed? ;} ) and right now they are a huge kaleidoscope swirling and dancing around in me. Joy at my fast progress, Gratitude by the buckets, and an odd feeling that this long, LONG process and the changes it made in my life really ARE almost over, and "normal", which has been such a foreigner in my life, is returning.  So many simple things will be "Firsts since..." and it is - very odd. a bit dizzyfying. And very welcome. 
I will be forever changed, and hope to carry the life lessons with me through my long, happy productive life. 

Time to start studying music for my first show, and getting re-familiarized with the next one for which I'll be auditioning very, very soon! 

I've been talking about it, but it is fast becoming reality. I am getting my life back, RIGHT NOW. 

It is dizzying. 

PS - I spent  quiet afternoon, the had a visit and Chinese takeout with a friend. Pretty exhausted! 
a bit of telly and knitting wrapped up the day - and I am delighted to report - I used the cane the rest of the day as planned. In fact, I forgot it in the kitchen once! A good sign! 
I am lettign myself use the walk tonight and tomorrow night (and beyond if I need it, but my guess is after tomorrow night, I won't!) 

Off to bed - very, very sleepy. And happy, indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!