Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmastime/surgery time...

I can barely believe Christmas is here, or that it is even Christmastime.

Having been out of circulation makes it a little off to see the commercials and hear the music, from one's armchair. This isn't so much a lamentation or complaint as an observation.

This surgery recovery is quite different from my first - the first was in Sacramento Sumer - hot prety much constantly, but always able to go outside without bundling up, to keep the windows open for fresh air, and being summer, friends had more free time - teachers and students ere off school, theatre is less frequent, and people have time.

This one isin a really unusual cold snap - most nights down to the thirties, and some below freezing - rare here, and usually not until January or February.
The days are shorter, cold... a little more challenging for opening up the house without spending a mint on heating, but you do what you have to do!
At least it's not raining. I usually enjoy our winter rains - not too cold, and they tend to go away after a few days for a sunshine break. But this year I'm grateful for a dry spell, though I know we need the rain. Manipulating a walker in the wet and slick streets and sidewalks is a more daunting task, and I haven't had to deal with it for my daily physical therapy walks, or occasional outings.

Parties and social gatherings, poetry readings, performances of friends' plays or bands at local watering holes - all of which would be on my schedule, normally, re necessary sacrifices. I will put one on the calendar with hope, only to realize I was being a little too ambitious about that happening.

At least I've goten a small modest bit of Christmas shopping done... nothing wrapped or shipped yet, but that's a small something! And we have plans for Christmas - a little low-key and happy evening at Jess and Seth's about six blocks from my apartment, probably getting  lift there from Toni (she's not comfortable in groups she doesn't know)  and then Toni and I will go to Chris' for Christmas Day.

Then there is a one-night cabaret on the 28th - a wonderfully talented friend's work - which i hope to attend, and on the 30th, I get to see Dr. Smith for my post-op appointment. He will likely release me to drive, and we will figure out whether January 6 is acceptable for me to return to work, or if I am not yet quite walking, perhaps I may get one more week at home and more PT appointments...
Of course, I may finally start walking on my own sans walker by the end of this week! I woudl find that to be the best Christmas present pretty much of all time.

Who knows what New Year's Eve holds... we'll see.  All I know is that the year to follow it will ABSOLUTELY be better than 2013. Hands down.

And to all a good night - good lord, Christmas Eve is tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!