Monday, December 9, 2013

In-hospital notes - Day two and three, 12/4 and 12/5


12/4
Dr. smith came in at 6:30 and removed my drain- painless!
He said "I wish all my patients were like you! You are tough !!"
I always had been  a pain wimp, but he confirmed that the last 6 or so years of pain would have a lot to do with lifting my pain threshold.  Go, me! 

Though I did ask for my breakfast Norco early. It's achy. 

7:50 am 2 Norco 5s in and catheter out- no problem!

Today is a pretty ouchie day / scooting is very painful but the team is too busy to move me upward . 
Balance of norco and pain us tricky . 

Toni brought me my dinner / of course they brought me pasta and rice again , undressed. 
Thank goodness for the well-but-mildly seasoned chicken and snowpeas and eggplant with smashed potatoes she brought me - it was vastly better than the hospital fare, and she made plenty for both nights! 

about 2 am:   I can't scoot and my current  position hurts. (Middle of the night dec 4/5)

12/5 

All through the night I was reminded of how quickly the healing proceeds and the pain recedes. I awoke every 2-3 hours to use the bedside commode, and each time it was easier and less painful to lift my leg and move it forward, etc. I am really hoping that the trip up the stairs and down again can happen- the PT, Garren, is skeptical. I was careful not to disrespect his technique- it IS all about safety- but I have to get up  them when  get home, Friday, so I did told him I'd really like to. He feels that the rails are too far apart, but I assured him I'd done it comfortably before. He rankled a bit but promised to consider it. He is more conservative that Doug was on the first surgery, and that's all right, He's also really good. 

The care staff are so great. Even though they are slammed, they are attentive and friendly. :)



Thursday morning- dr smith came in, happy at my progress. We'll keep and eye on the bit of space between the newly sculpted hip socket and the replacement to see that remain solid.

Gerran came in and took me on the walker out to the hall . He had a 4" platform for practicing stepping up and down. He insisted that I try the technique using the walker as a side rail, even though I promised I have perfectly spaced rail at home and have been using them for a year.
I asked him to just consider it.

...
In the morning PT session, Gerran had me take the walker to the hallway and had a one-step 4" platform there to train me how to use the tubular walker to get up stairs. I calmly appealed to him that I will not be going up and down the stairs alone while confined to the walker - I'll have a PT or my sister with me (I never needed the tubular walker to get up and down stairs between surgeries- the cane was a touch painful, but I will not need it now)... He did his duty and showed me the technique in case I should need it - I'm OK with that... 
Then, sure enough, bless 'im, in the afternoon he brought a wheelchair in, and Toni came down the hall into the stairwell with us. I worked the 8 stairs well, and he graciously conceded that I can rock the stairs, and I was ready to go home Friday! :) I was still having a touch of trouble raising my right thigh enough to get my toes off the floor, so walk/hopping them forward, but again, all day each day with regular PT, the ability/strength is better and the pain is less.

In – between PTs was a busy time- blood drawing, the dietition( who got a rational not-unkind but frank earful re: the poor quality of the gluten free choices.)

And- TMI again - a bowel movement!!! Because the commode chair ( even the drop arm one they found me) pushed thighs together and made for a challenge passing anything. I got the nurse to take me  into the actual bathroom , sat down
And pushed and pushed. ALMOST. Finally, I asked Nurse Noemi for the Ol' Digital extraction. I had had to do it myself for surgery #1 after a week out and after much too much strenuous, painful and non-productive pushing. This was fairly disastrous, causing too much after- effect for at least 2 months. pain swelling rash - worse than any other aspect of the surgery.

After Noemi's help, she went to get a suppository to finish the job- but while she was gone, I focused, breathed, and PUSHED for all I was worth and- VOILA!! Brilliant! All that was left  and it was considerable - came rushing out.
This may be Too Much Infirmation, but it was VERY, VERY important, I cannot over emphasize it !!!
Just amazing , the difference. It was vital for me to get this dealt with this time. The addition of 3 doses of Metamucil every day, and a dose of the sickly sweet Sutter Cocktail of prune juice and milk of magnesia ( yum- prune and chalky mint- BLECH!) was gross but incredibly effective. My worst fear was erased!!

This will mean a very different recovery for me this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!