Thursday, December 19, 2013

12/16/13... TMI After an Uncomfortable Night... and The Difference of a Few Hours

6:38 am- a TMI post after an uncomfortable night
but something you may want to be aware of if you are undergoing surgery
One thing one may encounter after surgery is a sort of diaper rash situation, even if diapers are not involved.
Mine began with the first post-op period and the Terrible Constipation. The awful pushing and straining created hemorrhoids, then this rash.
Looking online and appealing to friends who had been through surgeries (and grateful for their candor)  I found some products which seemed to help on and off... Prep H and Boudreaux's Butt Paste(for baby diaper rash, but the Extra Strength is a good product). Sometimes they helped. I finally asked a friend to pick me up a sitz bath, and the few times I dealt with the somewhat elaborate and messy ( water spillage) set up, it helped. The situation took almost 2 1/2 months to clear up, just in time for surgery #2.

With this surgery I had nearly thwarted these tender skin issues with three times daily doses of Metamucil and careful watch and use of the stool softener prescrubed and Senekot laxative when needed...
But just before I was able to ditch the culprit, Norco, I had a mild slow-down, perhaps in part due to a day when I drank less water.
That one morning of having to push brought back the whole situation.
So, this has been a night of stinging, dabbing gingerly to keep the delicate  inflamed and weeping skin tissue as dry as possible, then slathering it with a Dimethicone cream, the skin barrier used in the cleansing wipes in hospital. What had been working decided it would not work this night, and it made for a fairly miserable night.

Of course, sitting ( and what else do I do?? ) is one of the worst irritants in this situation. Lying in one's side giving the area some air is good, but not really feasible yet - uncomfortable on either side (with a pillow between thighs) for more that a minute or so at a time.

I look so forward to this being yet just another memory, and I try to look for the lessons in all, of it.
I have to say, the un-glamorous dealings of a stinging, throbbing and maddeningly itchy bum are a bit tricky to embrace as Lessons to Learn.
But it does go away. Dear Babies of the World : I feel your pain. I know why you scream. 


**Note added on 12/19 - this was the worst night for this situation - it cleared up well the next night, and I am knocking wood that I have seen the worst of it.

***************************************************************


 2:30 pm... The difference of a few hours : 

It has been a great day so far! I am completely at the turning point! The thrill is palpable! 
The anticipation of walking freely as it approaches is the same as that of a fast approaching holiday trip abroad! 

Today:
A nice morning with my sister - made up for the rough night by sleeping in a little.
PT, Shawna arrived as I was just done ice massaging the bursa on my knee (It has been irritated and one of my biggest pain sources, though the cartilage is great, because of the bad alignment of my hips for so long). We did my bed exercises, and she did some great massage on my knee and some ham string resistance stretches. 
Then, outside we went! The temp out today is nearly 70 - grateful for it, as we have had a VERY uncharistic cold snap! With the walker, we went down the stairs and up the sidewalk about 15 feet! A bit tired at the end, but the good kind! :) 
Then, about a half hour ago, doing a self-progress check, I discovered one of the small wonders...
I put my feet as close together as i could while putting weight on both feet. My knees were tight together, and my feet were about 2 inches apart!! Standing independently, without the walker's support! :) 
A HUGE accomplishment! I first discovered that I was unable to put my feet together with knees straight about 3-4 years ago, trying to do a grounding exercise for singing technique. The closest I could get them was about a foot apart, and it just got got worse over the years. 
Baby steps are becoming MEDIUM steps!! I am very, very happy and proud. I shared with my sister and a couple dear friends who completely get it - it feels wonderful to get some loving support to boost the journey along. 

******************************
The rest of the day has been great. I could feel later in the day that I have done a lot today - a little sore and a bit of swelling, but nothing out of bounds. I'm in bed- late- now ( I have a hard time getting proper sleep, I hope to have a huge nap tomorrow) and i am a bit sore(still mostly the knee and calf). My next tylenol dose is in an hour and a half.. 

But my friends Luther and Christine provided dinner tonight- absolutely perfect spaghetti and meat sauce. Delicious! Toni and I enjoyed it, and there'll be leftovers tomorrow-huzzah! 

I made a few visiting dates with friends- without Facebook during this whole time, I, feel I'd have lost my mind. Keeping in touch with people I love, getting good advice and lots of support and so much uplifting love... Arranging practical things like people to come and stay with me when I needed it, and setting up the Mealbaby program... Utterly indispensable. 

My friend Mike asked me to call his mom, whose first hip surgery was shortly after mine, and give her a bit of a pep talk on her second one in February. I'll be delighted to do so, because I love having knowledge and good information I can share! This is the main reason I am writing this - to help others, and to remind myself, in case I ever take the simple act of walking for granted again, to keep the importance and value of what I will have, precious. 

There's probably more but i need to try to relax and sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!