Saturday, December 21, 2013

12/20/13 - Progress, and a Bit of Shopping

I awoke a bit late for my morning tylenol, but only by an hour. felt a tad stiff and a bit sore but all normal and fine. 

Toni got up a bit later and got coffee and a litttle breakfast going... 

Shawna (PT) came and had more good exercises/stretches to give me toward getting my weight onto my right leg. it was DEFINITELY better today... progress. not there yet, but better, and that gives me renewed hope and enthusiasm. I know it WILL happen, just not quite *when*. 
We walked (with walker)  nearly to the end of the block - furthest yet!

We had a bit of minor excitement... there had been a mild but distinct somewhat - erm - funky odor apparent in the bathroom for several days. It was prety clean, but Toni cleaned it again... still there... 
in Middtown Sacramento we have roof rats . They live on roofs and in palm trees and  occasionally make their way into the attic. Could be squirrels, too... They NEVER show up in the apartment and we have no vermin of any kind here, just for the record... 
Well, it seems one of these critters mst have met it's maker in the ceiling... the neighbors in the apartment wal-to wall next door called the landlord, and they sent out exterminers - from the sound of it, they sawed a hole in the ceiling and dealt with the issue. Lo and behold - the loo smells fresh and clean again!  
All this wile Shawna was here... woo-hoo! Thank goodness she understands and is not jusdgental. Roof rats happen. 

After she left, another home care nurse arrived, Marion. He was great, lots of fun and friendly, and he did all the things needed - last Coumadin check, etc., gave me the dosage for the last 5 days of the course,  and officially discharged me from nursing care! More milestones! 

Toni got to work making a lovely pot of Ox Tail Soup - a childhood favorite. Best part of the cow, the tail. 
She was happy as could be, and we listened to the mix CDs we downloaded and burned for her - a list she'd been compiling for years! She doesn't have a computer, so I'm so thrilled I could help her add a great new array of music to her collection!

Then we decided to go on a little foray, all within the downtown Sacramento grid - all within a mile. Into the car, and off to the Japanese gift shop - all kinds of lovely gifty treasures there - and a few wee things for me. I was born in Japan, and all of the siblings have an affinity for things Japanese. Every now and again I need a little packet or two of origami paper, perhaps a nice new chopstick rest. The to the Asian Food Market - a wonderful array of products and foods, and a bit more nostalgia. We both love the Chinese sausage lap Xiong, so we got a packet. 

There had been talk of a drive into the beautiful Sierra foothills nearby, and possibly visiting a dear friend where he works at a wonderful gelato / espresso place, but he was quite occupied with the holidays and such and asked for a raincheck - happy to have it! A good thing really, after all - I wasn't quite ready for that much riding around. 

I was getting a bit sore and fatigued by the end of the second store, so I took the keys and popped out to relax in the car while Toni got a chance to browse a bit more and find a few treasures she doesn't have access to in the wee Colorado town where she lives. 

That's Christmas shopping - done and simple! One more electronic purchase to make, and a few things to mail, but it may just have to happen a day or two after Christmas. We shall see. 

Home again, shower time. The first of my butterfly strips on the surgical scar came off in the shower today, just as they are meant to. As soon as they are all off, I can get to cross-massaging the scar to work the keloids out of it. if any. I used gentle but firm cross-massage with coconut oil on the first surgery's scar nad it worked perfectly. the scar is amazingly well-healed - my doctor and nurses are all really surprised that it's only from this last August!   Yay for healing well! 

A bit later, we dined on that gorgeous Oxtail Stew - absolutely perfect! Then we settled in for some more episodes of Call the Midwife and a few chocolate covered Macadamia nuts procured on our shopping foray today. :)  
We had hoped to catch up on a lot of movies now that I have a Roku, but it seems Netflix has a LOT fewer current big name movies available for streaming than if you are ordering them on DVD. I find it annoying and disappointing. 
But - we do find good things to watch. 

My bum issue did NOT keep me awake as I'd feared, fortunately - the dimethicone cream I use now seems to help a lot. 
I did, however start to feel it about halfway into the second of the three episodes of tv we watched this evening. I know that getting up and lifting up to relieve pressure is the thing to do, but when you are very tired from a big day, it's hard to do, and when you are recovering from surgery, you sit a lot. Hence the problem. I did as much as I could, and now it seems I'd best get to bed and off this desk chair. 

Toni will be cat sitting for our bother from Saturday afternoon (tomorrow) to Monday morning, but it's kind of perfect timing. I'm ready for a bit of quiet time for some meditation, writing, reading and napping, perhaps... plus, I do have friends coming to visit over the weekend. Sh'll get a nice break from the constant fetching of things (Water, medication, meals, etc) that are involved in helping someone recovering from orthopedic surgery. 
The friend's visits, too are good timing - I've been feeling the absence of being in my theatre community of wonderful friends, so this will be lovely! Two dinner deliveries on Saturday and Sunday, and there are lots of leftovers in the fridge and freezer ( Toni is masterful at managing what is ready to freeze when as new dishes are made or brought and such) - this will be helpful for the first bit of time I'm actually here on my own. 

I was happily able to putter in the kitchen and get my own food and coffee and such on my own yesterday, so I'm making lots of progress. Bit by bit, and gradual independence is good. 
Too abrupt and it might be overdoing it, stressing myself - trying to do enough and not too much is such a balance. I am so grateful for my sister beng here, and friends who are bringing nourishment as well. 

Also, it seems a few of you are reading me here - I appreciate it! -M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!