Saturday, May 31, 2014

5/30/2014 Better Days and Delightful Soirée

I can't believe it's almost the middle of the year... just a random observation as I type out the date in the subject line! 

Not much happened yesterday - a little sore, a little tired, etc. Came home, got on the exercise bike, my sick kitty wanted food - when she wants to eat - I feed her, as poor as her appetite is.

BUT - much better than my down day Wednesday! 
 
i had a lovely Skype date with my niece and her baby - I love them a ton - it is always a delight. 

Then I worked on music and the Portuguese poem my friend has written - very exciting! 

Tonight, I sang for a diabetes research benefit at two friends' beautiful home - it was SO much fun! Great friends singing and playing piano, and Bob and JR have the most wonderful circle of beautiful friends! The little informal cabaret we sang was just a blast - my voice, which has been thrashed with uncharacteristically bad allergies, did me a favor and just held in there fine. We made 'em laugh, we made 'em cry. They were very complimentary. I was reading the lyrics to one very funny song as I sang (We only had a couple of weeks - and no rehearsals together - to prepare) and I didn't have the fourth page!! SO I just made a schtick out of it, ran around the piano 

(Didja notice THAT?! RAN??? Oh yeah! in little heels, even!) 
and read it off his pages as he played!! THey were right with me, and it really is a very funny song - so hurray! 
A fine time was had by all! 

I stood up for long lengths of time with no pain and minimal ankle swelling ( HURRAH! - yay for the shin divot!) 
and I spoke with two of the guests- one of whom has had one hip replaced and is looking at another now - and one of whom is very young for hip issues, but has them anyway - she get so much pain, and I had a long conversation with her and her husband ( Both very cool, lovely people!) and I think I helped her to feel better about the possibility and less fear for the prospect. She even has the same medical group as I do, Sutter - and I was able to heartily recommend Dr. Smith when and if the time comes for replacements. 
THIS is what this whole thing is about. 
it feels a bit "meta" here - I told her about my blog, in case it might give her an idea of what it's like on a day to day basis - the ups and downs from at least one perspective - and we just became friends on Facebook - and i sent her this URL - so - if you're ready, Kiny - WELCOME! :) 
I'm glad you're my friend, and it was wonderful meeting you and Mike tonight!!


Ah well - I must go have another look at the Portuguese poem, as we meet to do more table work on it tomorrow! 

As the Portuguese say (And has become one of my favorite expressions):
"Até logo!" (Literally: "Until soon!") 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!