Tuesday, May 13, 2014

5/13/2014 Treatment Frustration - Warts and All.

I've already typed this all out on Facebook. so I'll just paste those posts below,without the comments from friends... - too tired to write it out again.
Hope it edits coherently.  I was pretty pissed off and frustrated. Sometimes the SIlver Lining get a little dull.

I just want to get on with my hips healing... You might understand. Lesson here - DON'T FALL. (Duh).

"Frustrated with Dr.s who won't give me a second opinion. I just want some questions answered. Like, " isn't FIVE COURSES of antibiotics (one for each hip surgery, one for a dental appt- required after hip replacement- one just finished for the shin divot, and a SECOND one prescribed for the shin divot, even though it's healing) in nine months too much?!? This is a legitimate question!!

I take a pro-biotic. The point is, I already have a compromised immune system(Coeliac disease) and would really love to NOT ruin my body's resistance. 
I was sent to the vascular surgeon for a compression bandage. came out with the bandage, plus, so fa
r, a bone scan(done, and came back negative for infection), after is was administered, my primary care called to tell me I could hold off in it. too late- radioactive dye already administered! - plus 
new orders for a vain mapping ultrasound, another antibiotic(the PA told me WRONGLY that I was positive for MRSA!!! When i queried that, she re-read my results and said, " Oops!! i,m so sorry! It's NOT MRSA!!" But still, an order for a second antibiotic, the day after i finished the first one and had an allervgic reaction on the last day. 
Wtf!! Be a little more careful, dammit! 
I just don't want unnecessary tests or over-medication, and those are legitimate concerns! 
Grrrrrr.....


There was no infection to start with!!! The ulceration is deep, I understand. But it is healing with compression bandage treatment! 
Oh they also added weekly wound care clinic. AFTER telling me I was taking care of it properly and well!
Hoping for a call from my primary care.


I tested NEGATIVE FOR INFECTION. before the first antibiotic - which i took, and finished. And THEN had a reaction to. I am not being unreasonable here, wanting a second opinion!
I just want some bloody reasonable communication.

I want to know of my Pcp agrees with the second antibiotic. He was dubious about the first one. 
I have new hips- I don't want to jeopardize them! I just need more information!! I really feel the vascular dept may be throwing tests at me. It's draining my FSA account fast, and I need it for hip replacement recovery. If I need it - great! I'll get it! But "I have doubts. I have such doubts."
Sigh "


a friend posted: "Maybe, maybe not. But most of the time doctor's second an opinion rather than offering a second opinion. You have to know how to ask this question so it isn't a leading question, as they say in the lawyer biz. Don't ask a doctor who knows your doctor, and don't offer the second doctor the information from the first. They are a tight club."

More from me: "that's the truth. My Pcp is the one who questioned the vascular surgeon first, so I'm hoping he'll get back to me soon. Just wanting to do the exact RIGHT things! I just want some answers. And my full health back. I'm wiling to do the work- I just need correct information as to what that IS!!"

Another friend: "You are the ONLY expert on your exact body. Listen to your own second opinion-it is valid!"

Me: "Except, that I am not medically trained. I know up to a point, but i have an injury i don't know well. am getting conflicting, confusing information from the professionals. Hence, my frustration.
I usually get *great* care at Sutter, hence the frustration. My Primary Care doc got back to me. He said to reiterate my concern to the vascular surgeon with details. I will, and if he still says yes, I'll take the antibiotic again. My doc said he was being over-cautious. 
In most cases I'd say - "sure, ok". But I am very aware of the balance of treatment. *sigh*. Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback.


Just sent one more note to the Vascular surgery team to clarify my concerns. After their response, if they say it's all still a go, I'll comply." 


So there's my whole frustrating day, in a mostly one-sided version of the conversation thread I had. I have extraordinary, smart, helpful and loving friends. I was grateful for their feedback (Even a few slightly odd responses, they were well-intented) 
If it looks like a tempest in a teapot - I am just trying to get clear and smart information on how to heal best, fastest and most intelligently. 

I wish you a lovely day to come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!