Thursday, May 22, 2014

5/22/2014 Nine Months SInce Hip #1... Progress Report... BP Meds... Farewell to An Institution


I forgot to note on Tuesday May 20, it was the 9 month "anniversary" of my new left hip!! HURRAH! coming right along - numbness on the top-outer surface of the thigh diminishes slowly, steadily. I can live with it - it's a very fair price to pay for having my mobility back! But it's nicer to have the feeling back! 

I keep having realizations of little small New Things while I am away from anything to take notes with... I get back to me desk ot such, and IT's gone like the wind.

But the good news is - New Little Things occur almost daily, still. 

After wearing heel yesterday the only after effect had nothing to do with my hips or knees or the shin divot - just a bit of running on the wide part of my foot! It seems my pretty patent leather dancing shoes need breaking in! I'll take that!
My thighs were a touch sore, but it was clearly "using different walking muscles" sore, not "I wore those shoes too soon: sore. 
Lots of stretching today, less pain. Remember that as you go through this. 

Slowing down stretching or strengthening works agains you. 

DO the exercises. If you're exhausted. do hal the reps, but if you can possibly, push through and DO them. increase them! You will feel pretty much instantly better. 

I looked up side effects of the blood pressure medicine I take today - I've had soem odd symptoms... and I think they are side effects of the Hyzaar (Losartan). 
All thebetter reason to get stronger, be better and GET WALKING! weight coming off (After the Shin Divot - you're supposed to up your calories when healing a wound) - I will push my Doctor to wean me off the BP meds. 
DON'T DO THIS ON YOUR OWN. I had no high BP before the hip pain - it started and went from occasional to more often to consistent low- level high BP - there are four phases of hig BP - I was in the lowest level, just above "normal", and it was directly correlated to my levels of pain. 
Because they will not do surgery without it, I had no choice before my hip replacements. It's almost time to 


Today was fine at work, and then off to Japanese dinner with friends. Unfortunately, other than having a bottle of GF soy sauce on hand, the restaurant was pretty much unable to help me eat anything but sushi, which I love, but I was craving good cooked family-style Japanese food. The restaurant has been around since I was wee - I celebrated my 11th birthday there - and today I celebrated my 56th, and it will be the last time I eat there. Poor indifferent service, much higher prices than they were, small portions, and almost nothing I could eat, nor any small effort to make it so. 
Since I was 11, the same ladies had worked there - they remembered my Mom, who died 25 years ago! She spoke Japanese with them, and I was born thre, so we were alwyas just a wee bit special, and I'd leave saying one of the few Japanese phrases U knew - "O ya sumi na sai" - "Good evening",  basically. The restaurant moved a few years ago and this was my first time at the new place. It had no atmosphere, where the old place had fans and Japanese art, and sold Japanese candies at the counter... 
but the sushi was the final straw. It used to be fresh and expertly prepared. 

This fish was only "sort of" fresh, not very flavorful, and it was just chopped into irregular chunks with knives tht were *clearly* not at all sharp.  I wasn't even sure that I might not be sick when I got home. So far, so good.  When you pick up one piece of fish and the other two next to it come up too, because they are still connected by the silver skin membrane which should have been removed in the first pace?
You lose me forever. My dear Nagato's, another bastion of my youth, goes away. 
Happily, there are many very good Japanese places with superior sushi, which I will enjoy, and they are much closer to my home. But the restaurant that I used to coem to with my Momma, whose Mama-san waitresses remembered me and my Momma - is gone. And so - we move on.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!