Sunday, April 20, 2014

9/20/2014 Easter / Spring Celebration

4/20/2014

A lovely Easter day. 

A group of friends celebrates the same way every Easter morning, around 10 am. we all gather at Marilyn's lovely home in East Sacramento. Each has a dish to share - some of us bring the same thing every year, or a variation thereom. I make deviled eggs - the seem to be popular, and I like them! it's always a delicious spread. We show up for coffee, the switch to mimosas and head out on our walk: 
The night before, Marilyn walks around the neighborhood with little clues and tapes them around the area - each clue leads to the next (This year's were in haiku form) and the always lead back to her house, where we find the "prize." a bag of construction paper costumes, always bunnies, themed to something in the previous year's news. This year was Edward Snowden bunnies. Ears with russian hat flaps attached to the band, a pair of black paper horn rimmed glasses and a flier entitled "The NSA and You" we pass around the pieces and scotch tape, don them and take group photos. It's very fun and funny. 
Then we put the costumes in the recycle and go in to eat the delicious food! 

My dear late friend Deb is the one who invited my to join this lovely group of her friends, in 1993. in those 21 years, I have never wanted for a place to celebrate the holiday ( i am not religious, but love to celebrate the spring with friends and this is perfect!) 
This year Deb's kids and husband were there, and the rest of the usual Suspects. It fluctuates year to year, and we have lost a few over time to death or divorce. 
We started the stroll with Marilyn lifting a toast to Deb. She would have appreciated that. She missed last year, as she was already sick (as did I for painful hips) and the year before, I stayed at the house with her while the others strolled and her husband took photos. And this year we all walked for her, I suppose. 

I brought my cane, just because I do wen I walk any distance - but I really didn't need it. It has become more annoying then helpful - a good sign! I loved the walk. The only time I had a small twinge was when Marilyn had popped back to the house for a few minutes and we couldn't find the clue... standing still-ish for too long made me a bit antsy. But she arrived, we found the clue and moved along and all was well. a great walk. There were many kind remarks as to how well I am moving now, and lots of congratulatory hugs. :) 

Went for a late lunch with my friend Mariam - Hot Italian. They have quite tasty Gluten-Free Pizza.. however, it is $4.50 more and about 30% smaller than the non- GF version. That is extremely excessive, when the original is already $12 - $16 dollars for a personal sized pizza. between the pizza, the soft drink tip and tax, I spend $30 - on a pizza. Tasty, but - I probably won't do it a lot. It did have enough left over for a bit of dinner, so that was nice. 

We roll into Tech Week for A New Brain tomorrow - four more rehearsals and we're up. A lot to do in a short time. There's a reason itis also referred to in som circles as "Hell Week" as well. I look forward to it being the end of NEXT week, and opening behind us. 

I hope you had a lovely Easter, or whatever you celebrate - or, Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!