Friday, April 4, 2014

4/4/2014 Gratitude for My Return to Theatre / Sharing Successes / Ibuprofen - or Tylenol?



Sorry I skipped yesterday - had physical theraphy and a rehearsal, and I was beat. 
Good news is my surgeon approved 5 more PT appointments between now and June- they had been approving them for short increments of time, and I was not able to get time slots and losing the appointments as the time expired... this should, I dearly hope, do the trick! If not, Ann will apply for more, and I hope he will approved more again! 

My Facebook status tonight: 
"Recently, during a performance of Cannery Row, in which I had the luxury of sitting in the band on our wee stair landing and just singing, and watching the show in full every night from our unique perspective, I happened to look up into the flies above Tyson, as he played the Captain, standing there with his shotgun before the Frog catching scene. The lights above us were in 'Evening is falling' mode - purples and golds... and I was flooded with a peace and joy - and the thought that, 'Here I am, sitting on a stage with a cast/band /crew of forty-something people, and there is a lovely, responsive audience, fully attentive to Steinbeck's stories we are unwinding before their eyes... and how beautifully, terribly lucky I am - we are - to be HERE. NOW. Doing THIS.'
It is an honor and a privilege to be in the Theatre. And a hoot, and ridiculous, and warm and tough, and crazy as hell. And I wouldn't give it up for ANYTHING.
Yet, I almost had to. Being forced off the stage by my defective bones was a nightmare, and sucked most of the joy out of life. Being back is, while tiring for the moment (as I grow stronger daily), still one of the biggest wonders about having my mobility and my life back.
Everything *means* something.
It is beyond description to be here in this point of life."

It was a pretty good day - tired, and somewhat creaky - feeling the after effects of a good PT appointment yesterday, and I stepped up my exercises a bit today. 
No rehearsal tonight - so a quiet-ish night at home ( the neighbors were having a party, but it seems to have calmed down at this very respectable hour of 11 pm - they are really great neighbors! )

My friend Debbie is doing so great! she, too is discovering new things - all those little things you didn't even realize you were losing, or pain habits... and they are now changing! Great fun as she shares her wins! 
I would like her to write a guest blog post for me here, but I may (as she suggested) compile some of her Facebook posts. wonderful progress! 

I was having some interesting success with Ibuprofen before rehearsal or PT, as it seems to handle my much diminished, but still present, pain better than tylenol - just a little, as it can inhibit bone growth, and I don't want to over do any medication, and am tapering off... but I get through and am happier and more energetic when II have less pain, so it's a balance. 
However, I think the ibu is causing some hives - this has happened when I was on high doses of it before, and even though I am only taking one dose of 600 - 800 mg a day (Instead of the max, before surgery), it has been long enough since I stopped taking it last August that even the smaller doses seem to cause the big itchy/stinging blister/welts. Dammit. Ah well. It really is not that bad, so I'll either stick to the time-released Tylenol or weather the hives (I they don't get to severe). 

OK! it's the weekend - hallelujah! :) A couple of brunches and probably not much else until Sunday night's rehearsal... 
I though i was getting some allergies (I haven't had them in years), but it seems I may have caught a bug that was going around both work and rehearsal. Dammit. 
Started taking my go-to, ColdCalm (I wish I'd realized it was a cold a couple of days ago), but it seems to be helping. And I'm taking N-Acetyl Cystiene (An amino acid) for cough - also seems to be doing it's job. I REALLLY need to sleep. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!