Thursday, April 24, 2014

4/24/2014 FInal Dress Rehearsal. Newsflash: I Can Do Stuff.

Good final dress rehearsal tonight (Wow - it doesn't feel like it was... !) 
We open tomorrow night! My toughest little section of my trickiest two songs gve me a moment, but it was just a quick fumble and MOVIN on - You always finish big, no matter what! :) 

My ballad, the "Eleven O'clock number" (In theatre lingo, traditionally the Big Number of the show always occurred right about 11:00 pm, just before the culmination of the story and the denouement... now it's still the term, even if the show is short, as ours is - less than two hours) went very, very well. Once it's done, I can kind of relax (Of course I was late for an entrance, as was another actor in the scene, after that, but that won't happen again.) 
Anyway - the miracles happened tonight.. and we will plug back in one of the other actors who has been on a cruise for 9 days tomorrow night before the house opens at 7:30, so, room for a few more miracles... 

The is SHOWtime, kids! 
I have to say how wonderful it is to be in a scene, walk, stand, etc, and not feel afraid that I don't sit soon. I had a *little* bit of stiffness tonight. No big deal! 

And walking out for curtain call with another actor, I even did a little spin as we turned to bow. I may even ask him to turn me :) It would be fun to have people who have seen me limping about the stage for several years and know about my hip replacements to see that. Just a little personal - maybe vanity? Victory, certainly! 

I walked up the stairs at home tonight withouth a lot of support from the rails. I love that. 

And there is even one place where I climb two stairs onto a platform in the show where I have gained the strength and balance not to be too afraid or instability. 
Maybe not *quite* strong enough to reciprocate up them yet - but maybe by closing. There is supposed to be a rail added, and I've been promised, but I can probably live without it - when I get to the second step, I can reach the edge of the piano for balance. 

Anyhow - it's good. Other than those few little phrases that give me gas, I'm begining to reach my confidence - for god's sake - I am an ACTOR. I have been doing this for - I was astonished to recently calculate - FORTY-ONE YEARS. (Whaaaaaat?!) . 
There is a reason get get cast - I have experience and skills. 
So - it's ridiculous to let myself NOT reach my confidence. I hate doing it so last-minute - but there it is. I feel good about tomorrow night, and I look forward to the run.
I may be one of the senior two members of the cast, but I'm feeling like one of the kids. I love it, and I really love this little group. 

"It's the Day of the Show, Y'all!!"
- Waiting for Guffman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!