Saturday, April 26, 2014

4/25/2014 Opening Night of a New Brain - My First Full Role Since...

Today a serendipitous internet outage at work let me go hom a few hours early. 
I prefer to take a vacation day on opening night, but my vacation and sick time are a bit sparse these days. So it was a nice surprise to get to come home, chill, take a solid nap with a hard, lovely rain falling on the roof. I got up and made a nice dinner of a lamb chop and Swiss Chard.

Checking in, two friends, a couple who are wonderful women and very well loved, have been dealing with brain cancer and breast cancer - and after nong struggles and multiple surgeries between them, they just announced that they are both cancer FREE! I told them I was doing the happiest dance of all! ANd so - then I did. I twirled and danced and whirled down my hallway laughing like a loon and making up the silliest happy little song as I went! 

I DANCED! Both feet off the ground, not just shakin' my bootie! YAY!!! 
It's about a month until my Dance Party - so looks like we;re right on track! :D

I was able to be at the theatre early with the others (My commute would have kept me later, normally). 
We worked Owen into the show (He has been on a Caribbean cruise for 9 days) and then we were off! 

The show went absolutely great. Full sold-out house, standing ovation. very responsive audience - a great way to start a run!  I feel very, very good abut house my songs went. two substituted words in two places in the show (and both made sense) and I believe I added two measures someplace in th really tough one, "Throw it Out" - but the band absolutely stayed with me - they are great! 

At the end of the show, ( I asked the director if this was OK) I asked Nephi, the actor I walk into curtain call with, to spin me when we turn to take out bows. It felt *WONDERFUL!* :) JUST BECAUSE I CAN!!! 

I am a bit tired (Kind of hit the wall after the show) but very. very happy. 
Knock wood - but - when one nails it like this, it usually means (at least for me) that the rest of the run should be pretty solid. It's not a show in which one can drop focus for a minute... I am never off the stage for more than about five or ten minutes at a time, and usually more like two or three. 

And, as it is almost 3am (One most gather with the cast for a celebratory Scotch, and candied bacon hot from the oven mustn't one??), I will turn in. 

Happy run to us all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!