Thursday, February 6, 2014

February 5 and 6 - Fun and Pains - All Part of the Healing Process!

Yesterday, Feb 5, the work  day went pretty quickly - I was a little stiff from my Big Outing at the grocery store the night before - it was great! 

But a little stiff. 

Yet, I had a ticket for a marvelous Brazilian Dance troupe, Grupo Corpo - SO I was GOIN'! 

It was great - I had NO worries about where to park - I knew I could walk the distance from the parking garage to the theatre, past the entrance to WIll Call, and stand in line with no problems! Just as I got in the door, right there were my friends Jt and Nancy! 
Amazing timing! BIG hugs, and I could show off even a bit more progress than 8 days ago when last saw Jt! We were heading toward the loos, and I said "I'll beat ya there!"  - I was walking in front of them - and I just took off!!! They were wonderfully celebratory with me - that feels wonderful, when people you care about GET it. I haven't actually taken any running steps yet - That's the next big thing I look forward to!! 
 The program was FANTASTIC - two very distinctly different pieces, both full of style, energy - Jt (A Dancer- pointed out that they were classically trained - you could see that at the core - but then there was modern, and SO MUCH Brazil!! absolutely wonderful evening.

An easy walk back to the parking structure, and home! Slept pretty well, though I was awakened by the sound of a facebook post chime at 6 am - an hour early. oh well, who needs sleep? (Me - I do.) 

 
Today, Wednesday Feb 6, I had a sore day, certainly. 
But I'm knowing that when I push a bit and am sore - it's not DAMAGE. It's STRENGTHENING! 
Like a had workout where you're sore for the next couple of days - but more able! 
And that was confirmed and supported for me by my new Physical Therapist today! Ann - in the same building as my Primary Care doctor! Nice and convenient, though I do need to schedule at the end of the day, and that's a little hard right now with their busy schedule... still - it was a very good PT session! What was gret was how enthusiastic and impressed Ann was with my progress 9 weeks after hip surgery #2 - I was afraid I was too well-progressd for them to take me for long - and I only have three appointments including this one - not sure of there's be more after this... 
but this was very, very good for checking where I am since I last saw Shauna! I am doing absolutely great with my current PT - she gave me several more - 
laying down - she adjusted my bridges a little bit which helped, and then had me add the small ball squeezed between my knees for the bridges. 
Then added standing balance exercises - 
one foot in front of the other, balanced, turning head from side to side slowly, then crossing arms over heart with eyes closed, and then eyes open, arms alternately over head and switching. 
Also, standing on of foot and balancing as long as possible - I forgot the printout but she's sending them in the mail. 
She checked my gait and it all seems normal for what needs strengthening and stretching. 
Her assistant John also gave me some ultrasound on the right knee while we ices my hips and lower back. Great stuff! Very glad for her help! 

Yes another wonderful Sutter experience! 

Then I hurried home, made and ate dinner in 45 minutes and was off to rehearsal. 
I was unable to find a disabled spot, and finally found a  street parking spot about a block and a half walk from the theatre entrance - and it was pretty easy! 
It started raining, and I was glad for the good rubber tip on my cane, and for the fact that, if we *had* to have a drought here, it happened when I was most physically unstable, and I am s much better bale to deal with wet surfaces now! MINDFULLY, of course - always, mindfully. 
NO FALLING. 

OK - that's a good couple of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!