Monday, February 17, 2014

2/16/2014 Dining with Friends and Strangers, Remembering Mindfulness


Great day. Electra had her appetite back, and had eaten very well, twice by 4pm. Her sister is finally letting her eat in peace. It makes it SO much easier.

I went for brunch with friends Andee, James, Jack and Wes this morning - it was lovely, and the food was delicious - Hook and Ladder was the restaurant - I love having so many great restaurants just blocks from home! Midtown/Downtown Sacramento is my favorite. :) Soon I'll be walking to them again! Hook and Ladder is 10 blocks from me - less than a mile - Once I'm up to speed, that'll be nothing! 20 minutes, easy - I was so used to walking that before, in fact even as recently at 3-4 years ago.

Then I came home and made up a batch of delicious mashed cauliflower with shallots, duck fat and coconut milk instead of butter and milk! A little salt and pepper and powdered garlic - delicious!
It was for a potluck being thrown by one of my favorite bloggers, Gluten Free Girl and the Chef. Shauna and Danny have been doing GF road trips all over the country in preparation for a book they are writing., finding out about the local cuisines and food cultures of US Regions. I was delighted to be invited, an it was a lovely event. A great, eclectic mix of people, all brought together by being gluten-free, and their reading of that blog. great conversation, great food and lots of laughter were had. The day was unseasonably, GLORIOUSLY beautiful - at least 70 degrees - Feb 16! Who knew? yet, it felt wonderful.

It was funny - I brought the lightweight cane, but it was really more a pain in the butt than anything! it kept falling, and was just annoying. Seems I''l be leaving it in the car for longer walks, soon!

I came home to a relaxing afternoon - a long nap, with my other healthy but less affectionate cat, Maia, staying on the bed with me! She usually bolts - but it was a lovely time together, if not quite snuggling yet.

I could have exercised more today.
Tomorrow is President's Day, and I have only a few things to do - a small grocery trip, gas, and the rest of the day is mine for relaxing - I will take a walk and use my exercycle, and do more stretches. THey certainly are still working!
I may also take another lovely bubble bath. Just because I CAN. :)

One more thing I noticed in the shower today - I have had several odd and very rough callouses on my right foot for several years - under the inside edge of the ball of my foot, on the inside-botomedge of my big toe, and on the end of my second toe! well I knew it was probably because of the terrible gait I was forced to walk with due to the hip damage, but they are FINALLY going away - nearly gone, in fact! And now that I can actually reach the bottom of my foot and my toes to feel what is going on there, I can really tell!

Oh, I do so enjoy the simples Abilities. :) Once again, I think it - or really STILL, I think it - how very fortunate I am to live in a time - PERFECT TIMING - when a surgeon can put these amazing devices - the newest-developed, best designed and longest lasting yet, into my body - WITHOUT CUTTING THROUGH ANY MUSCLES ,but going between them - in place of my own deformed and degenerated bones - and REPAIR ME.

And I am able to resume my wonderful life full of friends and loved ones, exciting and social events; to walk out into the world and, just outside my door and down my street, smell the most beautiful flowers and see the lovely trees that grace my beautiful city; and again practice my art, my craft. 
That is some great, big, wonderful stuff, and I get to have it. I am in wonder every day. :) 

Thank goodness I am surrounded by people who share the wonder with me, and encourage and cheer me on. Occasionally I will start to let myself think, "Ok - yes, I'm moving right along - do we have to comment on it all the time???"

And I catch myself and think - "Yep. We do. It's that big a deal - people are that kind to care enough, and that amazed, so it should remind you EXACTLY how bad it was, and how much better you are EVERY day. So BRING it, observers! THANK YOU!!" :D

With that, I'm gonna go feed the cats and try to medicate one of them...

Adieu!

2 comments:

  1. i Can't Wait To Get My Bionic Hip! We Will Walk In The Rain Soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you'll coem through it with flying colors, Deb!!! I can't wait!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!