Wednesday, February 19, 2014

2/18/2014 Proprioception and Felines and Rehearsals

Work was fine today - went by pretty fast - always good! 

My little cat Electra ("Lexi") is doing much better today! She has eaten well 4 times today and took her liquid prednisone like a champ! I finally got her to sit nice and still on the scale  - good news! She weighed 5.5 lbs on the 15th, and in three days she has gained a quarter of a pound! 
I dearly hope we are kicking this issue and that she'll bounce back well. She is a sweet wee girl, and I will be heart broken if she doesn't pull through. It's looking better every day, though! She even rolled contentedly around on the floor after asking for yet more food tonight! 

Rehearsal went well - we are gettign our cues down well - I gave the band a full cue sheet which I think will be really helpful. Our guitarist, Nathan is getting on board with his attitude. He is a jumpy kid, and t is a little nerve wracking to keep him sitting still, not nodling around on his guitar and moving around, tapping his fingers or foot, or stealing focus some way. I don't think he really intends to - he doesn't really have it instilled in his head yet that you are not in theatre to be the center of attention, but to serve the play. If you do it well, you will get appropriate acknowledgment, and applause or laughter... that's where your reward comes. BUt we'll be in great shape in a week and a half when we open.
I had minimal pain from sitting on the stool - was a shorter rehearsal though. my feet are swelling again, most likely from al the walking. I'll see Dr. Smith mMonday for a followup, and I'll ask about it then. Likely just from getting up and moving about more. 

I had a very good PT session today. Ann feels that I have the matt exercises down, and I do them diligently. We are now working on balancing and strength in tandem, to really get me moving evenly and comfortable on the right to catch up with the left. 
I walked up and down some steps sideways, and worked on steps without holding on to the rails - tricky! Iv been doing steps all along (Living in a second story apartment ), but It's still tricky without my ol' tried and true trusty friends, the Rails! 
BUt she gave me "gold stars" on everything - I balance well - I give prps to my pre-surgery exercises on my own, my Pilates instructor and Jt for helping me with SO much proprioception work and understanding all along this journey! 
He taught me that proprioception is really out sixth sense. Sight, smell, hearing, touch and taste - and Proprioception. 
It is your body;s ability to orient itself in relation to the space it is in - in tandem with gravity, the ability to know which way is up, down, right, left, etc... and it goes hand in hand with balance. When you close your eyes, cross your arms across your chest and try to balance 
on both feet, your body starts to lose its balance in relation to the earth- and the sky - you start to wobble and have trouble staying balanced. 
But I seem to do quite well at it! HURRAH!! More Gold Stars! 
This should mean that I will be right as rain in no time! It's possible that I could have eventually gotten to full recovery without the PT anyway, but I know it has been hugely helpful in teaching me what to do to get better, encouraging to stick to it, and then having someone o coach me along and make sure I am doing it all correctly, fixing it when I'm not, for optimum healing of all of my leg joint systems - from the waist down and then some! 

Our focus from here on will be balance and gait. I'm so happy about it! My great care continues! Ann is a great PT, and she is very warm and funny, as well! It seems to run in the profession! 

This Thursday, it'll be six months since my first/left hip replacement! Amazing. 

One more thing - after rehearsal - I don't know it could be coincidence, but I have pretty good instincts - I felt  little creepiness walking out to my car - which was right by the building. I am the first to say, "No ones walks alone - we all need to go in pairs or clumps for safety/"
But since I've stayed a little late to catch up with Christine re music questions or notes, I have walked ou alone (On a cane, mind you.) And tonight I had a creep, for sure. 
Well, one of our young cast members tonight posted on our Facebook Group that, while she was waiting for her ride home,  she had been punched in the stomach and knocked to the ground, but escaped further harm when her ride drove up!!!!! 
 She seems fine - I hope it doesn't come back to bite her. 
But that means - NO MORE WALKING ALONE - male or female. Jesus  - thieves are USELESS. 
I am so glad this lovely confident young woman seems to be OK. You never know the delayed effect, but I dearly hope she comes out unscathed. 
It makes me SO ANGRY. 

And now once again I am up far too late. To PT and bed. Lordy, I am deeply tired. 

Boa noite!
-MK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!