Wednesday, February 26, 2014

2/25/2014 Good rehearsals, better Doctor's appointment!

Day 3 of tech week - one more rehearsal and we open the show! 
Its a lovely show, and I'm mostly solid on the music. It feels funny to have a cue sheet in from of me - being in teh band that is totally legitimate. My lyrics are memorized, and I am "off-book" for them and have been for weeks. Anyway, It's very low stress. 
The seating situation has been well-solved. the new chair and padding are good, and by the end of the show tonight, I was doing very well. MUCH less pain and stiffness. TOmorrow I may bring my doughnut cushion, and perhaps that will be better than the folded blanket we're using now. 
The stairs on the big, beautiful wooden Cannery Row set are a little higher rise than most standard steps - sets are built for looks and function, and not scale, being a temporary thing, They are also built for safety, and we have rails where necessary, but they are a little more work for me to get up and down, so I use the wooden cane.
I look forward to the days when I don't need to worry about that at all... all in due time! :) 

I saw my surgeon today for my checkup - two months from my post-op appt, and three months since the second surgery, 
IT was a good appointment. I was a little concerned that I might have over-stressed the joints sitting on tehstool, but nope! ALl is well. The right is well-improved, adn the left is just as good or a bit better than last time it was looked at. None of what is called in teh fields "windshield wipering" of the screws used to hold my socket in - so it isn't loosening or showing any wear! 

I also found out that my joints are a ceramic lined/lubricated socket - longer wearing than the polymers. 
I feel fancy! Dr. Smith was glad to see me, and told me, "I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how you were doing!" 
He was thrilled to hear that I'm back on stage, and gave me flying colors again. I love being a star patient :) 
It was so good knowing that I wasn't doing anything stupid or dangerous to my recovery - I mean, I *am* just sitting, and taking a few steps( nothing I don't do every single day!) 

And I am exhausted, and need to get to bed - early calls and late rehearsals are exhausting, no matter what you're doing. I am still in makeup and costume, and must be fully engaged in the performance - almost more than anyone for a longer stretch. THe band is on the set for the entire show, first on, last off, and you absolutely must look interested and engaged, and a part of the group in the little microcosm that is The Row... even though we aren;t really character who existed they way the others are. It's an interesting little limbo world - but you just decide who you are in the scheme of things as a character, and interact with those nearby, and never over do it or steal focus. And that takes a BUNCH of energy! 

And so I bid you "Goodnight, Sweetheart, 'til we meet tomorrow/ Goodnight, Sweetheart, sleep will banish sorrow..." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!