Tuesday, June 10, 2014

June 9, 2014 Heat... Improvement... Motivation... Inspiration


It is HOT right now, here in Northern California.
Currently 104 degrees F, at 3:45 in the afternoon. I went out to enjoy lunch on our company patio a couple of hours ago, and I lasted about 10 minutes. It was awfully warm.
This, just at a time when I am ready to be active, and get my stamina going!
I am back to being able to get up the stairs with only a little support for balance by the rails... all the way up without getting winded!
And oh, how I'd love to get to walking gain - but really - even though I have begun to acclimate better to the yearly summer heat, once it's over 100, walking out doors is not my idea of a healthy thing to do.

I do have motivation, though (once it is just a LITTLE less sweltering). My friend Graham has a theatre in the Sierra Foothills, in Murphys. I have worked there many a time, and intend to again, I hope next summer.
One of our favorite places in the world is Lake Alpine, just a bit up the highway from Murphys. There is a fairly steep trail that isn't terribly long, up to the most stunning view - "Inspiration Point." At the top, along a lava ridge at about 7500 feet, you can see the most stunning views - on one side, the blue, blue of the Lake, and on the other, there are two reservoirs, Elephant Head Rock, and you can see the Sierra for miles and miles, a good portion of the way North to Lake Tahoe, Maybe 40 miles away, and  Heavenly Ski Park, on a clear day. You can also see the beautiful, perpetual and majestic thunder bumpers that roll up over the top of the Sierras to the East. It is truly a beautiful place - it induces me to sing when I am up there. Usually the Shubert Ave Maria. It is that wonderful.

The last time I made the hike was when my late best friend Deborah and I drove up to celebrate Graham's birthday with him, in September of - perhaps 2011? Oh, my. I think it was more like 2007. Perhaps the next-to-last time I went up - but we had a great day. Deb was between brain tumors (There were 8 in all, recurring. Three brain surgeries, two radiations, chemo... it's what she succumbed to eventually last October) and she was a little wobbly, but determined to climb to the top. We found her a good, sturdy walking stick, and with many rests and breathers, made it! 

I always have to go up slowly - maybe 25 paces at a time. It's that altitude, and even then, my hips were beginning to challenge me, even though I was walking regularly. It took a while (Maybe an hour?) to reach the top. That last little bit looked like it might be too much for Deb, so she perched in the shade, and insisted that we forge ahead and pick her up on the way back,she was happy to sit in the shade and smell the pines and listen to the birds. But, about five minutes after Graham and I made the crest, there she came. It was something else to share that special time with her. It meant a lot to her to accomplish that.

We stayed a good while at the top - it's thin air and sunny, and hats and water are a must, but the beauty keeps you from wanting to leave. Graham took off his shirt, and by god, we were all friends, so I took off mine too (the bra stayed on)! I just needed that sweet air on as much of my skin as I could manage!
We watched the clouds  and the high-altitude butterflies play, and just - breathed. I sang - because I have to - and finally, we turned to head back down the steep trail. It is sort of easier going down, but challenges a whole new set of muscles!

Nearish to the top, Deb suddenly developed double vision - it happened on a pretty regular basis between tumor pressure and medications, but usually cleared up after a bit. We found a cool, shady spot to rest, and eventually, her vision was at least clear enough to carry on. We both offered an arm down, but she preferred the walking stick and feeling her own way. We stopped for a delicious dinner on the way back to Graham's, and then had a dense chocolate torte I'd made for the occasion, sitting out on his balcony which overlooked the Stanislaus National Forest, smiling.
That was a fine and memorable day, the last time Deb was able to do anything that physical again. That saddest part is that I didn't own a camera or cell phone at the time - there are no photos.
And it one of the last times I was able to make that climb. Graham and I have driven to the Lake another couple of times since and stayed down by the lake, but that hike was beyond my strength by then.
The minute I knew that I would be getting new hips and get better, one of the very first things I thought of was, "I will be able to climb up to Inspiration Point again!!!" that and dancing were my first dream/goals.

I hoped to do it this summer, but I also knew that it might be too soon.
Today, Graham and I spoke (Theatre business to start - I still make the programs, even when I am not on stage with them) and we talked about my getting up to Murphys (under two hours drive) to see the new production of Twelfth Night which opens next weekend. He thought it would be great for me to stay over and the next day get breakfast and drive up to Alpine and "Not do anything crazy, but have a nice easty stroll around the lake."

What a fine idea!!  It should be a few weeks, at least two or three - and I think I can get my stamina up and at 'em for a lovely lake stroll before then! There are many logs and boulders to sit on and rest if needed - but the air there is so sweet and beautiful among the evergreens -  I cannot wait! Next summer? You bet your but I'll get to the top of Inspiration Point. This time, I'll have two cameras.

So - until the Heat calms a little in a few days, it's the exercycle, and dreams of cool glades!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!