Wednesday, June 11, 2014

6/10/2014 Good News, Reflections on a Year


Today's Facebook status: 
This is a Very Good Day. Even a bit Red-Letter-ish! It was my nine-and-six-month checks on the new hippity hips - and the first set of x-rays since that little tumble March 2... we were pretty sure all was well... but I will not say I wasn't HUGELY relieved to have Super-Doc Smith look at my X-rays and smile, and say, "Nope - no problem! These really look rock-solid. It's looking like they are really set in there!!" (I, being "special" wasn't so clearly solid at first - five screws were added to the mix to keep it all in place) He was very careful to ask all about everything(Including the shin divot, in detail) and we're set for another look-see in three months! I appreciate the very thorough follow-up!
Then Mariam and I went for our now-traditional post-check Gunther's ice cream. AND - I just finished 20 minutes on the recumbent bike- I was gong for 10. 
Like


It was a year ago tomorrow that I went hobbling into my first appointment with me new, desperately-found (and fortunately wonderful) Primary Care Physician, Dr. Noreen, in so much pain I could barely see straight. I had just closed "A Little Princess" a beautiful world premiere musical at one of our professional theatres, Sacramento Theatre Company. I had to add a cane to my costumes and juggle handsfull of props with it for the final 9-shows-in-five-days (and a few full days of work at my day job in there, as well). 

I only just now saw that tit was a year ago, tomorrow. It really brought that into focus- how VERY far I have come and how much healing I have done.
I am told that the bit of pain I am still feeling should calm at the one- year mark - all of the other milestones I have been told about have held true (the magical 2 weeks for pain, 6 weeks for mobility, etc. etc.). It will be one year for the Left hip August 20, and for the right on December 3. SInce I am getting my stamina back again, I believe I will be in even better shape! And as I get to walking again and using the exercycle, and I tone and lose some weight naturally, thing will just get better and better!! 

But the truth is - even if today were my final result and this woudl be my permanent level of discomfort and occasional pain (though there would be frustrating days), I would be really content, especially when I remember how completely wretched I was a year ago. 
Tears and meltdowns were the order of the day and I felt like I was losing my mind with the pain. 

I was 55, feeling like 85. 
Now I am 56 feeling like 45. :) 

Life, my friends, is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!