Monday, June 23, 2014

6/21/2014 and 6/22/2014 Solstice, Self-Defense Training, Accomplishments Achieved

Yesterday on Facebook: 

"Today, I took a really terrific women's self-defense class - Diamond Defense from the wonderful Lisa Thew!! I took it two years ago, when I was barely mobile and feeling pretty vulnerable in the world, and I was still able to get a LOT of good information from it. I left that day feeling much stronger, and knowing that I was more badass than I remembered. It was GREAT revisiting the material and information today, able to be up on my feet and participate fully in the class!!! It was a powerful experience, and I met some really great women who also got a great amount from it. 
Thank you Lisa... For any of my women friends who feel a little more vulnerable in the world than you would like to be, I really recommend this training."

This was wonderful. The group of women all got really great rewards from it, and it was interesting to see the different vulnerabilities in each woman come to the surface, and then dissipate. 
Everyone left feeling empowered and more secure in the world, with tools to know that we can take care of ourselves in a bad situation. 
And there was only one maneuver I needed to sit out - it involved a side-kick, and I tried gentle tests of it first, and felt impact where it didn't feel like a good idea, so I just sat out that section, still watching and learning. 
I also did 10 minutes on the 'cycle before the training, and then another 15 at night! AND - It was a three-medication day for Lexi. It's grueling, but I did it, and she actually came for a cuddle at bedtime Her appetite skyrocketed after the appetite stimulant - hurrah! what she wants to eat, she gets. 

It was also Summer Solstice - a powerful day as it is, being the longest day of the year, but also the day my mother died, twenty-five years ago. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that my nearest and best beloved, my mother, friend and wise woman, has been gone for that long. I think we learned a lot from her while she was here - no - I KNOW we learned a lot. About how to deal with a problem - There is no problem is there is a solution. ANd there is pretty much always a solution. SO try not to panic, but calm down and think of what the solution might be. 
That has served me well, and many people I love, having passed that simple wisdom on, over the years. 
Thanks, Butchie! We all have the same twinkle - thanks for passing it on. 

And today:
I got some things accomplished! Some relaxation, too - but not too lazy. 
I picked up things in prep to vacuum. No - I didn't get the vacuuming done. It seems the hardest and worst task in the household, for some silly reason! It's an automatic MACHINE! But it'll happen soon - the cat hair off of these two fluff butts is pretty overwhelming. Tidied up the kitchen... 
I looked for some sheet music - discovered where it wasn't, and figured out where I can get it... 
Went out the door, walked briskly around the bock in the warm afternoon, hopped right in the car and went for groceries. 
Medicated Lexi again - only prednisone. I'll add the sub-q fluids tomorrow - oh how we hate that. but it must be done. 
I did another 10 minutes on the 'cycle - and received a note that I could get a comp ticket some friends' show - an original score just written in the last 30 days - so I showered, made dinner and went out at 8:45! It was lovely and a terrific show. It fels so good to get out and see things spontaneously. 
Conversely - I missed a wonderful poetry event yesterday... I just wasn't ready in time. C'est la vie! 

I worked on some Fado music today - my Portuguese pronunciation is getting better and fitting more naturally in my mouth - it has been a real task - especially for someone who specializes in regional dialects - this one is very tricky!! 
So - all in all, a good weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!