Friday, June 20, 2014

6/20/2014 Walking, Meeting Neighbors, Keeping it Moving Forward!

Second longest day of the year (Along with day-after-tomorrow, of course).
A warm but lovely day... I got up a little closer to "on time" today thinking, "It's Friday. I don't want to be hanging around work later that most of the others on a Friday". But then I thought, "I didn't get on the 'cycle or walk yesterday. Nope! Time to get on the bike for 10 morning minutes." 
And so I did. Mornings are not my thing, NOT my time for activity - I tend to go in a little bit later and home a little bit later... and very little occurs other than shower, dressing, and a litle nosh (Fruit or such) in the car. 
So - yay! I did plenty of stretching today at work, too.

Gave my pal Mariam a ride home - she came by to try and help me administer meds to Electra, but Lex is onto me/us. I wish it weren't so hard - it's exhausting having skittery cats when then get sick. 
Ah, well.  When I took Mariam home, I got out of the car and headed right on the street at a good clip! I was determined to go aroundthe block - work clothes, purse and all - before heading back in. And I DID - bonus, was meeting the neighbors on the first corner I round! 
They've been there three years, but I haven't been walking - except for when I was doing post-op hove care  Physical Therapy with Shauna. 
It was daytime and unusual to see a neighbor home/out, but he ws always up on the porch studying, so I never bothered him. 
He was doing his grad work at the time. This time, the dog came down to say hi, and Tiffany came down after her, and Kevin (Eric? Keith? It take me a few times!) followed. I introduced myself, reminded him that he might have seen me before, but with a walker - and he DID remember me with my PT! I explained about the new hips, and they were very congratulatory - lovely, friendly people, and I'm glad to know them! 
I will likely see them fairly often now, since they are on my walk - even though I tend to mix up the pattern once I'm walking more than around the block! As I walked away, they smiled and commented on my big happy smile and how I was just MOVING down the road - When I walk - I WALK!! Strolling is for recreation!! :D (But I do stop and look at the pretty things and sights, and smell the earth and leave and flowers, too! ) 

About 3/4 of the way around, my knees and a foot started to be a little cranky, so I slowed the pace a little bit, and concentrated on correct alignment and placement and such - but I headed right up the stairs pretty briskly. It was a good cardio - I was breathing pretty hard - but doing all right! 
I'll get back on the bike again tonight - I should to some vacuuming too... we shall see if I get to that tonight. But the vacuum cleaner is at least out and ready - so some time this weekend!!! (With these two luxuriously-coated kitties, it is sorely needed.) 

I am noticing things - my skin is smoother and nicer that it has been in so long. Pain and inflammation really do a number on it. Getting better really allows it to bounce back! Coconut Oil is also my friend! 

Also - the numb areas on the top/front of my thighs (around the surgery site) are starting to show the next sign that the nerves are waking up - I know this now from the parts that have already come back - there is a bruise-y kind of ache below the surface... little tingles and pin-prics that happen more and more often. The numb part on the right (the more recent and longer of the two replacements, last December) was much larger - and I wasn't sure it it was going to wake up - but it is! Such an odd sensation, leaning against something without know I am!

The remainder of the Divot is threatening to be a bit scabby (Sorry) - not bad - but I'm keeping a real eye on it, and if it doesn't get better SOON, I'm back to Wound Care. I am SO ready to have this sucker DONE. It ALMOST is!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!