Saturday, November 2, 2013

Halowe'en 2013


Today was Hallowe'en. At work, a goodly percentage of people dress for the occasion, and we have a potluck and a costume contest... as mentioned previously, I didn't intend to dress up. But I do get razzed a bit if I don't participate, so I though, "I'll take the advice I give others who want to dress up a little but don't have time etc... wear your pajamas! it's different that daily work wear and you'll be comfy!"
I did just that - wore a long pretty red sleep shirt I purchased for surgery #2 (As it will be during cold weather) with a satin collar and the iconic 60's "LOVE" image by Rover Indiana and ruffled sleeves, and slippers. Cute, cozy, and totally pointless.
I didn't go downstairs for the potluck - all I need right now is a gluten bomb - and I was really not feeling the "Getting around a crowded room with a walker " thing. Also, I realized, catching sight of myself in the full-length mirror, that I looked far too close too my own Post-op self. I had inadvertently costumed myself as a post-op hip replacement patient. Not my intention. No shame in it, but - too close to home-ish.

I did mention to a co-worker that, had I felt more able to get about and get crafty supplies I could have dress up the walker as something fun - he suggested a Chariot! Brilliant! My props maker's mind went to work - two stick horses attached to the front, a piece of poster board painted yellow with a fancy red border on the front, perhaps, and dressed as a Roman in a toga?
Well... Perhaps next year, if I can even stomach the idea of bringing the  damn thing out when I absolutely do not need it at all any more! (Also, it is borrowed.)

The good news... the works pals I sit nearest love to dress up, and they do a really good job of it! A Gypsy Fortune Teller, two Anime characters and a Killer Bee!





So much for Hallowe'en.

I had a great night out to see the London National Theatre's live broadcast encore of "Frankenstein" with friends... Benedict Cumberbatch as the Creature, and Johnny Lee Miller as Victor Frankenstein. A brilliant telling of this classic story made fresh and new - absolutely stellar  production, every inch of it, and Cumberbatch's performance is a master class in acting. Went with a big theatre group and it was splendid. A bite to eat out afterward next door, and then home by 11... but it was a little taxing.
One must choose the social over the domestic, sometimes, or just go a little bonkers staying at home. This will be a big weekend, I just have to pace myself. More on that after the fact.

Good news is, I slept pretty well, having forgotten to add a half-dose of OTC sleeping aid to my evening Tylenol/Cal-mag and amino acid dosage. Realized it as I was getting into bed, but I was feeling legitimately sleepy, so decided to go without, I slept better than I have in a while, even getting to bed late. On the way to work, I thought, "What's different?... hmmm ... eyes aren't stinging ... OH! I feel a bit rested! Well hooray for me!"

Digestion has been off for several days so I backed off added Magnesium (Taking it for bone growth, but it has the added effect of being laxative. :/ ) Seems improved.

Crossing my fingers that my pre-op bad right leg (Hip to ankle hurts most of the time, all radiant pain from the deformed/deteriorated hip)  will hold out enough to get me to December 3 (Four weeks, Four days!!) still decently rested.

 Tomorrow, I make a trip to Rohnert Park for a concert by my favorite Portuguese Fado artist, Mariza, with a dear friend whom I don't get to see often enough, Nan. It will be a push.. but it's one I need to do. It will be more uplifting that tiring, of this I'm sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!