Saturday, November 30, 2013

Rain and Canes, Walkers, Coats and Layers

I live in Northern California in the great Valley, and we have a continuing little dance with drought. It seems that the majority of the time, we have a lots less rain that we should.
So the winter is spent thusly - when it rains, especially if it's a hard and rain, we will say, "I know we really need the rain,but I REALLY wish it would clear up for a while!" and comparative to most other places, we have a very mild winter, and it does indeed clear up soon.
In 46 years living here, iI remember a total of ONE Thanksgiving when it rained or went below 45 degrees - usually higher (yesterday it was in the 60's).
The other thing we say is when it does NOT rain enough - "I know we REALLY need the rain, but I will take all of these beautiful, sunny and mild days, thank you!"

We tend to like sunshine here. I also actually am one who enjoys rain - under normal circumstances.
In my current physical state, I am very VERY grateful for current dry, mild weather.

Last week we had one properly rainy winter's day. And the thing is - when you are dealing with a cane or a walker, wet pavement, leaves in abundance, and wet handrails, represent a possible threat. It is so much easier to do what is our worst enemy - to fall.
In Anterior Hip Replacement, that is your biggest restriction, post-op. "Don't fall."
In Posterior surgery, there are three restrictions for several weeks, as they risk dislocation - Do not cross your surgery leg over your center meridian line, or lift your knee up further than to make a 90 degree angle, and I forget the third one... a very good surgery, still a tad longer to recover and a few no-nos.
Again - for Anterior surgery - "Don't fall."

Th other thing is, wearing thicker clothes, more layers, and coats.

And then you go outside and your hand gets wet and cold using the all- important puddle-wet hand rail, and the stairs are wet as is the sidewalk, and the stretch of lawn on the way to the car is getting mushy, so dealing with the cane is not as stable; , and the gutter is full of wet leaves, so the walker's wheels are getting jammed up with them, and you slide across the driver's seat on the doctor-recommended plastic bag for ease of scooting, and you end up half-choked with the layers of clothing you are wearing.

And so, let me go officially on the record to say that so far ( and the forecast bears it out0, I have really only dealt with wet conditions one day, and any other bits of rain we have had were on weekends.

Falling is not an option.

After Monday, I hope not to have any more need of the "Cadillac" walker with the four wheels and seat. It's been swell, and sturdy, and made my life much, much more manageable.

I thank my friend Delta for the loan of it after her friend Claire left this life, with no more need of it.
After I am released to drive and work, and am sure I can't borrow it I will return it with one little epoxy repair to a weld, and gratitude.

And then I'll walk to my car. I might even dance to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!