Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Great Urine Test Panic of '13 and a few other thoughts


The age-related stigma of walkers

The two-week countdown begins
Labs/x-rays



The Great Urine Test Panic of '13


    Two days ago, I read my pre-op test results, didn't entirely understand them, and sent this panicked series of messages to a dear friend:**********************************
    Need a little moral support- my urinalysis came back with a high white blood cell count.. High enough and it means delay. I cannot delay this. XRay show serious degeneration on the right. Delay to 2014 will mean badbad things... 2500 more out of pocket i don't have no sister to stay with me, and probably a wheelchair. Urgent call and email in to surgeon.... I'm shaking like hell. Shit shit shit.
    -------
    Waiting for info...
    -------
    Surgeon's assistant just replied. He's not too oncerned about the results. They ordered a culture, and he'll look at the results of the culture and let me know if there is anything of concern.

    [the culture came back high - anti-biotics were recommended]

    I'm taking that as a " surgery is on December 3"

    He also sent word that the new left hip x-ray looks fine.

    Sorry for the panic spew... I was pretty freaked. I REALLY do try not to do that.... I really do.( and i usually succeed! ) High stakes, i guess! good acting exercise, huh!? :}

    ***********************************

    After this, I contacted my Primary Care physician to get a prescription for an Anti-biotic ASAP, as much as I hate whet they do side-effects-wise - but having an infection is not an option with surgery.

    I have a friend who had her elbow replacement delayed by a month and a half after discovering a UTI. I spoke to her during this panic and she said that 1 - hers was discovered two days before surgery -

    and 2 - I have 11 days to get this handled with anti-biotics.

    The next day, Thursday,  I already had my pre-op appointment with Dr. Norene, my Primary Care Physician. I went in, still pretty worried.

    I apologized for my panic, and told him iI *know* better - that i know I am not the expert - but this pushed my biggest nightmare panic button,

    He VERY calmly looked at my tests and said, "Yes - WCB is higher... but - did you see this line that says "Squamous cells"? That means skin cells - and that you didn't quite get a "Clean catch" when you gave the sample. It's a contaminated sample, so not valid. After we're done and we get your EKG, go right down to the lab and give another sample and we'll re-do the test. 
    Then we'll see if you need the Anti-biotics. "
    The EKG was perfect, BTW. 

    So I re-did the sample, and took great care to get it right. Very relieved about the anti-biotics. They do a number on my fairly delicate digestive system, and I really didn't want to deal with that right before surgery.


Update: Late in the day today, Friday, my very kind and patient Primary Care Physician took the time himself to send me this note - my response follows: 

Repeat urinalysis
To: Martha O Kight
From: David L Norene, MD
Received: 11/22/2013 7:24 PM PST

Hi Martha:
You did a good job. Your repeat urinalysis is perfectly clear. No WBC or contamination.
Hooray!
David L Norene, MD 11/22/2013 7:23 PM

And my response, because I think it is as important to give positive feedback as negative: 
To: Office of David L Norene, MDFrom:
Martha O Kight 
Sent: 11/22/2013 9:32 PM PST
The day I lucked into you as my Primary Care Physician was a great day. :)
Thank you most sincerely for your response and your calm demeanor - and your great patience with me.
I promise I am not really an hysterical person by nature - and I promise to be careful not to jump
the emotional gun in future. :)
Thanks for sending me the message personally so late in the day on a Friday.
Have a fantastic weekend, Dr. Norene!
Best,
-Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!