Monday, November 25, 2013

8 Days out and counting

The countdown continues! Calm is the watchword, and it seems to be holding at the moment!

Today I had a relaxed day.
Met a friend for brunch - lovely. I'm afraid I babbled on a bit - I tend to these days...
Nice to have company, perhaps? Hadn't seen him in a while. It was lovely.

I did some organizing - took 8 bags of random things from when I got rid of my old car and didn't yet have a new one - sheet music, blankets, a space heater, car supplied (Radiator fliuid, oil, jumper cables, maps, the little skull that hung from my rear-view mirror, ev). This is to clear a path in my erstwhile dining room - really not useful for it, but a storage area now - so that my sister Toni can access the sliding glass door to my balcony to smoke when she is here to watch after me post-surgery. She completely agrees that it is the thing to do, happily - I just want ed to get it started so that all that is left when she arrives some time next week is for her to carry the heavier things to their proper places (a closet, garbage, etc. ).
It felt great to get through the bags and sort things - almost all of it is now put away, or poised to be taken downstairs to supply my new (to me) car again.

Toni has a lot of people to visit before my surgery while she is here from Colorado, and is having a little trouble tying down exactly when she'll be here - it's a little nervous for me, but it's OK, too - we need to do laundry and grocery shop, as well as cooking a few things to take to my brother's for Thanksgiving next week, but it's OK to be flexible. It will all get done, and the bit of cleaning that needs doing which I can't yet do (and a few little tidying repairs) she can do while I'm in the hospital for 4 days.
As for the care duties, there is very little she needs to do medically - nothing in the way of bandages or bathroom duties - all of that is well in hand pretty much after the surgery. Mostly it'll be medications to be responsible for me taking at the right times,( pain meds, though I'll be on them for only a few days, make big holes in your short term memory).
Otherwise, she'll just keep me company to see that i don't go falling, and to get things - cook and serve meals, things I can't reach, etc. and possibly, helping me get my legs into bed, though this time it should be manageable with one good leg, And I already have the leg-lifter (A fabric-covered rod with loops at either end to lift the left up until I can do it on my own)  this time.
And probably accompany me on night time trips to the loo, just to be cautious.
I have friends on backup to spell her so she an get out now and then or perhaps go out of town on an overnight visit, and soem others bringing meals now and then sho she doesnt have to cook all of out meals. She's great at it and likes to coo, and is familiar with gluten free cooking, so it will go well.

She is a country /small town type of girl, and hates the city, but we'll take a bit of time to show here exactly where the doctor's office and hospital are ( happily, 10 blocks from my apartment!) as well as the gluten-free grocers, the Natural Foods Co-op, drug stores, etc. are.

Another thought -
There's been a bit of confusion about my post-surgery followup appointment - it was clearly scheduled for December 31 ( I remember a conversation with the assistant about it being New Year's Eve) and I have a paper fro her with it written in - and now my online medical information shows it or December 30.
 Either one would work, but I am concerned - one or the other is mistaken, and I do not want to go in on the wrong day. Not huge, but I'm very glad I checked the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!