Friday, November 22, 2013

Acetabulum


See definition and X-ray results below*

Perhaps one could be excused for being a little freaked out when test results look like the X-ray below - taken this week for my pre-op to the second Hip Replacement.
Medical terminology can be so daunting.
My understanding, which I'll confirm next week at my Surgical pre-op consult, is that the second hip replacement addresses pretty much all of these issues (At least the ones that are associated with the right hip. The others should stop degenerating after the hips and all of their issues are replaced).
I suppose at this point, unless it postpones my surgery, it might actually behoove me to stop looking at the deep details, since the surgery is happening and there is no doubt whatsoever that it will be a vast improvement.
When my surgeon told me after the first surgery that he had unexpectedly found congenital/developmental hip dysplasia during the surgery and had to re-sculpt my acetabulum, as it was not the normal round shape, but oblong, and to ensure its security, he added two screws, he said, "The screws went solid into mahogany, not spinning into balsa wood", I love the imagery - it was poetic, but really clear! Strong base bones - YES! Thank you, whatever cause my deformed hips, for leaving me a strong anchor, at least!
So fingers are crossed and hopes are high that the right hip is as solid and reparable. The two differences I see are that the first set of x-rays said that there was some uncovering of the femoral head - meaning, I believe, that the curve of the socket should cover more of the ball of the femoral head - it said it was more on the left than the right, and the left is purring along pretty well!
The current one has this - which the left did not have, "… likely 
superimposed avascular necrosis …"

"Necrosis" is a creepy term - but I am working hard to just let it be. Hoping the anchor bones are nice and solid again… Dr .Smith is great about explaining things to me until I am really solid on it. I appreciate that more than I can say.

"Lateral uncovering" means, I believe, that the edge of the socket(acetabulum) that would usually cover the top of the femoral ball is not where it should be. Makes it hard to move that joint properly. I'm trying to be very careful with it for the next 10 days. Nobody needs any emergencies around here. 

*Acetabulum
The acetabulum /æsɨˈtæbjʊləm/ (cotyloid cavity) is a concave surface of the pelvis. The head of the femur meets with the pelvis at the acetabulum, forming the hip joint.[1][2]

*XR HIP 2 Views RIGHT
FINDINGS:  

Left total hip arthroplasty is in place without complication. 

Ossific fragments noted adjacent to the left acetabulum, 

unchanged. There is severe osteoarthrosis of the right hip with 

prominent subchondral cyst formation, sclerosis and likely 

superimposed avascular necrosis with collapse incongruency of the 

articular surface. The right hip also demonstrates lateral 

uncovering. There are degenerative changes of the lower lumbar 

spine, sacroiliac joints and pubic symphysis. The bones are 

osteopenic. Phleboliths are noted in the pelvis. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!