Wednesday, August 6, 2014

8/6/2014 A Busy Several Days, Unseasonably Beautiful Weather, Lots of Things Afoot

This weekend I went to the Sacramento Shakespeare Festival / "Shakespeare in the Park" - twice!  - to see both Much Ado About Nothing and The Three Musketeers. It was delightful - the shows were both great fun and and very good, and the weather has taken a very strange turn to - cool. Overcast nad a bit humod. 

Typical Sacramento summer/August weather being HOT and DRY. 100+ Degrees and bone-dry. AND we're in the wrst drought in recored history. Not so good. It had been like that all week - and then this lovely freak turn. It was absolutely heavenly-perfect Sunday night! The show started at 6 on Sundays, so it was pretty light most of the way through - and the sun set in the most stunning way over the stage... really quite a glorious closing night! 

I was so comfortable parking wherever I needed to (However I do have the most astonishing parking luck - always! I enjoy that!) 
the amphitheater is very old and has stone paths and stairs, but It was just no worry at all! Completely steady and stable. 
It was spectacular seeing so many friends - many who haven't seen me "since" - and even the actors with whom I was in Canner Row after surgery were just tickled to pieces - "NO CANE!!! NO LIMP!!! YAY!" 
:} such sweet people. 

Yesterday was exciting - my good friend is a truly great poet and Portuguese. Our excellent Sacramento Poetry Center held their second annual Portuguese night with a group called California Navigations - Californians of Portuguese/Azorean descent, with some Brazilian poetry and some prose in the mix as well. My friend was one of the five featured poets/writers. California is a very largely Portuguese-populated state, though they don't kind of make a big public thing about it - no one who isn't Portuguese really knows about it! 
My friend came early and I made us a nice little dinner of sir-fried Farmer's Market vegetables and rice noodles with a little kiss of spice. 
 It was completely wonderful. They were all great. But my friend is a terrific singer, actor, dancer and director, too - so when he reads his poetry, it REALLY grabs you and holds you. great writing interpreted beautifully. 
A nosh with friends afterward - it couldn't have been better. 

Yesterday was the only day I missed half an hour on the 'bike, because I wasn't home, but I was fine (Except for the wonderful lte late night made for a very tired morning... I didn't mind - it was completely worth it, and it didn't kick my butt so hard - 
Normal - Good Normal - is still flowing back, and becoming even better than Previous Normal!! 

I got home from work today and the truly beautiful and PERFECTLY soft, cool weath coudl not have been more perfect - I chengd, but on my shoes, and even though the heat has kept me from walking for most of the week, I got out there and Bested my previous! 
8 and a half blocks!! I was fairly tired when I got home, but it wasn't bad. 

I'm off to cobble together pre-grocery-trip dinner and perhaps do a bit of time on the 'bike. nd maybe watch episode of Sherlock :) 
It's early enough in the evening I should be able to wind down after it - it is a REALLY EXCITING episode!! 

**********************************************
HA! Did it! Watched Sherlock AND got in 30 minutes on the 'cycle!!! I love it so much when I gat BOTH a good walk and a cycle in one day! :) 

I just sort of committed to reading for a play that I may well get a role in... it runs in October and November... I guess my Summer Off may be about to come to an end. But the two possible roles I might be workable for are not a super-big load, so my hope is that there would be a lighter rehearsal load for me. We'll see, if they decide to use me. SOmetimes when you have been playing larger roles for a lng time, a director might feel like they don't want to cast you in a "lesser" role... it can be thought of a bit like looking for a job and being rejected because you are over-qualified. 
But the director is a good friend, and knows I am interested. I'd love to work with him and the Stage Manager again. Both great friends. 

Getting  little prep done for the tahoe trip with friends this weekend. 

and now - to bed, by 1AM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!