Sunday, August 17, 2014

8/16/2014 Dance Party of One; A Life in the Arts is Just More Interesting!

A good start to the weekend! 
I got in a good strong 35 minutes on the exercycle last night. Slept in this morning and had a good breakfast - puttered around the house a bit, shopped for groceries. 
I find myself with things on the calendar to do - not commitments, but possibilities - and often deciding to do none of them. 

I have friends who have told me how interesting my life is - and I sometimes think, "Really??" and then have a really fun and interesting adventure or evening... so - even a 'fun and interesting" life isn't always so every minute of the day! 
So I had decided against several possibilities today and we feeling like I was being a bit lazy (Though there is plenty to do around the house),,, 
and then I won tickets to the theatre! I saw a really top notch show with 4 fantastic actors in it. I am reminded that a life in the theatre IS indeed interesting - and full of love and dear people, as well. The show was provocative, and excellent. Theatre which makes you think nd feel - THAT'S the stuff!! 
It was a bit last minute, so no one could go with e, but there were friends there (as there always are, having been in theatre for 40 years here, and knowing a lot of folks :) I love a true community.) 

No bike tonight, as I was home fairly late, but i was in the kitchen putting away groceries and making a sandwich (I only had time for yoghurt nd a banana before I left for the theatre, and that was NOT enough!!). I was watchign SAturday Night Live from the kitchen, and Pharrell was the musical guest. He sang "Happy" - I know a lot of peopel are sick to death of it, but I realllly really enjoy that song! 
And there was a large group of great kinds onstage with him dancing - I I was moving a bit, and then I started watching them and dancing their steps along with them - and suddenly, it was a real one-woman Dance Party in my kitchen!!!! 

I was having SO much fun, smiling, laughing and really DOING those dance steps!! Here's my Facebook status shortly after: 
ke
"Pharrell dance party just happened in m' kitchen. I danced my BUTT OFF. Because, well, i AM. Happy.
DANCIN' in my kitchen. I can do that."

I have been ACHING to get into an adult beginning dance class, just musical theatre style, so I can get the movement, grace and rythm back into my bones!!! And the last times I have tried to dance much, I was still a little wobbly - careful and cautious. 
This time. I was *mindful* - and it was pretty simple steps - but I coudl do them ALL - with gusto! 
it felt a little like flying. My winds are repaired!!! HURRAH!!!! 
In three days, it will be the oneyear anniversary since my first surgery. My home care physical therapist, which whom I have since become friends, and her boyfriend and I are going to meet for Happy Hour and celebrate! :) 

And today, I had checked with a director with whom I had discussed a couple of possible roles this year... I can't say where or what, as the casting is not publicly announced yet, but another director was asking me to audition for another Christmas show... so I dropped hte first director  aline, asking him of he was still interested, and I wasn't rushing him, but had a possibility, though this one would take priority. 
I was in the grocery store when he replied, telling me yes on X & Y shows, and the new musical director would like to hear me sing, just to know for himself. I was OVER THE MOON! First, they are shows I really wanted to do, and second,He saw mw at my very worst before the hips went down in flames. The fact that he is completely trusting that it did in fact make everything all better (and THEN some, and I'm still improving!!), sight-unseen, makes me absolutely as happy as can be!! 
I know that sometimes people can get it in their heads, "Oh, that actor can't move well... she had a lot of trouble getting around last time we worked with her..." and get tuck there... it is so gratifying that he is as excited to work with me as I am with him and his theatre!! 

My Life. It IS fun and interesting, and I am not taking one minute of that for granted. 
If it sounds to some as though I am a braggert - I will simply say, I am grateful. 
And that being in the arts DOES make your life happier, more fun and interesting. It is also extremely hard work, and a very tight schedule and a lot to learn in a short amount of time, it kicks your butt and you lose so much sleep - and I woudln't trade a bit of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!