Thursday, August 21, 2014

8/20/2014 One Year Out

It has been one year since my first hip surgery, the left one. 

I meant for today to be a landmark - to write something long and meaningful. But there were circumstances - mostly ones on the internet - which caused me a good bit of consternation. There's this Ice Bucket Challenge - people created it to get publicity nd awareness out on the internet to raise much-needed funds for ALS research. It's a horrible, terrifying disease. 2-5 years average, and you are gone.
No one - read, "drug companies" - seems to think it is important - read, "profitable" - enough to give attention and research to. So people who love people who are suffering with it took action. Within five weeks, it have raised 38 million (Probably more now) and counting, over the previous year in that five weeks - 1.8 million. The funds go to people who need assistive devices for breathing, speaking, moving, everything. There has never been enough to go around and also go to research... now there is. 
 Anda bunch of entitled, small minded asses decided to created a backlash. Backlashes suck.People can be such righteous morons. It seems the Ice Bucket Challenge... bugged them. They were annoyed. Well boo-effing -HOO. ALS is pretty effing annoying, too. 

There were more issues - backlash to Gluten--free diets - of which I must partake, being coeliac, and having a compromised immune system.. 
(WHY agin, do these people feel such a burning NEED to make up factoids about the - NON-EXISTANT -  detriment of anyone's gluten-free diet, whether by choice or necessity?!?)

Oh, dear GODS, I could go on and on... and yesterday I did, and it got me in fights with people I thought I knew better, and made me deeply sad and disappointed and feeling beaten to death. Little Mary Sunshine was DOWN. It took some work to extricate myself from some of those rows with people whom I love and respect, and explain and apologize out ways through it. 
Sometimes the internet is ridiculous and ugly. 

So - I was distracted, and that, TOO pissed me off - are you sensing a trend? I'm easily miffed this week - and i wasn't able to give my First Hip Anniversary its due celebration. joy, and respect. 

Here's what I came up with for a Facebook status:
"I am celebrating the one-year anniversary of my first hip replacement today. It's been a rough couple of days, and I don't feel super celebratory..
But ya know what? Fuggit.
I have my life back, and Little Mary Sunshine here is glad of it.
It's been a 99% amazing year of good stuff...
So, dammit- Happy Hip-a-versary to me."
There were over 150 congratulations, "likes" and lots of Hip puns - many cheers of "Hip, Hip, Hooray!". That went a long way toward bringing me out of the deepest part of my funk (which was pretty deep)... and it continues to improve. 
I hope to take a few moments tomorrow to write something with more of that happy, grateful tenor. 
But tonight, I am glad I can walk around with only occasional pain, and that, when I have sat too long (GREAT motivation to keep it moving - instant gratification!!) aand short-lived when I get up and stretch a few times. 
I truly feel 40 years younger than I did before surgery, and I look it, too! From 55-going on 80 to 56-going on 40, baby! ANd I intend to keep going. 
Never settle for "Well, I'm better than i was - that's good enough" if ypu are able to rev it up and go for it! I haven't missed a day of either walking, exercycle or both all week. weight is coming off slowly, but strength is increasing dramatically!!! 

OK - I'll leave it at that for now, and go to bed happy that I hve made it through a Year. This is HUGE. I did go for a drink with my home-care PT, Shauna - who after I was no longer her patient, became my friend! it was wonderful and affirming. And I drank a Moscow Mule to toast by! Fitting I think. for someone as stubborn and strong as I am! 

Hurrah!! it's only the beginning of the best!!! 
And I am deeply grateful to be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!