Tuesday, August 12, 2014

8/10/2014 & 8/11/2014 One More Day in Tahoe , and Home Again, Home Again...

Another lovely day in the beautiful mountains.
A liesurely morning, another delicious group-prepared meal. Debbie made a gorgeous Frittata, bacon, and pancakes for the others. Instead of pancakes(gluten) I had leftover plum crumble from last night's dessert.
We lolled about on the patio enjoying the air and all of the delightful baby animals which seem to be residents of the area between the houses here - chipmonks, squirrels, and birds of all kinds. 
Keith had brought an envelope of our late friend Deborah's ashes(they are being spread all around the world by her loved ones and documented on a world map with photos and stories- an mazing memorial). We chose a lovely wee spot at the top of a slope just out back of the cabin on the edge of forest.  I took photos as Keith shook the ashes out and let them fall among the pine needles. Deborah would love it here. I know she would love this. Just for good measure, after everyone else went inside, I sang the ave Maria for her - it was one of her favorite songs I sang for her. 

After a while three of us took a stroll up the road and across to the actual lake. We figured, coming up to Tahoe, one might want to see the actual Lake! 
After a nice sit on some tree stumps watching the water and people go by, the sky had clouded up beautifully and the life guard had called everyone out of the water having seen lightning. There was a bit of upward and downward slope, but it was good exercise. Probably a total of 4-5 city blocks each direction.
We headed back, and just as we arrived,  thunder rolled, lightning flashed, and the sky opened up! Then, the hail started!
I LOVE a summer thunder storm! It hailed hard for half an hour and is still sticking on the ground a couple of hours later. Wonderful! It was so great having real weather, when it is always so warm/hot in the Sacramento Vally. Fresh, clean chilly air is a balm!

Now we are doing the "close the cabin" chores- washing all of the sheets and towels, cleaning the kitchen and 3 bathrooms. 
I'm feeling a bit stiff and sore- putting clean sheets on my bed and helping with another one kind of kicked my butt - I can do chores, but I need to pace them and ret in-between - still building the ol' stamina. 
A little bit of "over doing" is happening. But there you go.
Time to help with chores some more - rest is over.

**************
8/11
Chores were finally finished, we buttoned the place up: leaving slider screens open (in case of freezes, so getting in or out isn't blocked by a frozen screen door that has to be ruined to get it unstuck), re-setting the water heater to "vacation" mode, refilling the containers of Pine-sol outside each of the doors - who knew Pine-sol repelled bears!?, locking the garage.
The drive home was - erm - tired and a bit grumpy.
The driver was in a hurry to get home... The much-too-fast corners were painful on my hips, trying to balance and not get tossed around the van. Nothing to be done for it. 'Nuff sed, peace was restored by home. 

Fortunately, the housework (making beds, lots of stairs, countertops, etc.) and walked low hills which had me pretty sore by the night, once again proved to be beneficial, not detrimental, for me this morning (Monday) when I woke up to go to work. 
I was a bit peeved that after the earliest bedtime I've been in bed in years (11:30pm) and 8 hours of sleep, I did NOT feel rested this morning! 


Ah, well. A quiet evening home, dinner of good steamed vegetables and the last of the plum crumble... And I just got off the exercycle for a good strong half hour! 



One last sad note - brilliant comedian and actor Robin Williams passed today. I've ever seen such universal grief for a performer. A terrible, deeply sad loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!