Tuesday, August 12, 2014

8/9/2014 Getting Away to Tahoe

I'm at Lake Tahoe ( about two hours from home ) for a little mini-vacation with four dear old friends, three from High School and College and the husband of one... It's a "cabin" - four bedrooms, two decks, three bathrooms, a fully- stocked kitchen, all wood, etc... A lovely place to relax among the incense cedars and pines, with stunning views and lovely mountain air.

We drove up last evening (Friday) and had a great day today. Drove up the road a bit to the bustling town, with a wooden boat show and museum, and an art festival. 
I am not buying things these days, but it was a lovely warm day, and we wandered among the art and craft booths ogling pretty things, and looked at the boats and enjoyed the history of the Lake and the Ghost Boats...
And I was aware the whole time that I was not concerned with how long or far we were going to walk. 
The friends whose family's cabin it is is Debbie, who also had a hip replacement recently and is recovering beautifully. But she also has fibromyalgia and it was interesting after all this time to be the one who was checking on someone else to see if they needed to rest, etc. and not on the receiving end of that need!
She did great! 
I was really just enjoying a stroll and not being sore or too tired. 
We enjoyed ourselves, and then went to Safeway in town for a few provisions. That's when I was reminded that I still can feel the after-effects of a long-ish stroll.
Not too bad, but I was done before the others, and I was really ready to sit in the van, feeling a touch wobbly.
We came back to the house - er, cabin, whipped up a great meal with two appetizers, grilled chicken and veg and a plum crumble for dessert. Everything was wonderful. 
Then we sat around the table and played Cards Against Humanity. A wicked raunchy, hilarious game, and we laughed often and long. That kind of laughter is good for the soul. 
Three of us went to bed, and Deb and I, the late birds, stayed up and gabbed and yakked, as we did in our college roomie days. 

I'm bedding down now, and I can feel the after effects of a long stroll, standing cooking in the kitchen and sitting in wooden dining chairs for a while... A bit stiff and a little sore, but not bad. I got a good walk in today, and it was a fine thing. 
Tomorrow is house keeping day, laundering all the sheets and towels, cleaning the kitchen, vacuuming all the rooms and leaving it as we found it. We'll make our meals and clean them as we go....
It is interesting not to be the least mobile and able person in any group. We're all within two or three years of each other in age here, and there are creaks among us all. So, we'll all do our share and get it all back in ship shape, and be on our way back down the hill. It's been a lovely time among the mountains by the big lake, and I'm glad we came. 
It'll be nice to be home, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!