Tuesday, August 26, 2014

8/26/14 Not Settling - A Happy Life - Goals

Yesterday I had my walk  - six blocks - shorter than usual, and I am trying to make them longer and get to a mile regularly (about 12-14 blocks,) but six is superior to none. I always pace myself, planning my route so that I can take the  option to go ahead and make for home or add another block to go around if I feel up to it.
I decided that I needed to do the exercise bike, too - and on a week night! I watched Sherlock win seven Emmy Awards as I cycled.
I love it on days when I can do both walk and cycle. It's one reason I'm not unhappy about not accepting a role in the Christmas show I was offered. More time to make sure I keen the routine and get stronger and healthier as time goes...
I will be in a show in the spring. I'm also really looking hard for an adult dance class - they are hard to find ( and afford), but I've been given some leads to explore. One recommended ballet studio offers one beginning contemporary dance class - exactly what I need - but it is not on their calendar right now. I'll keep an eye out for it and keep looking

I do also hope to start a nearby yoga class very soon. It is a special restorative class, and sounds perfect for me.
Budget allowing.
I hate that budget (stretched to breaking by the payments I have for my part of my hip surgery medical expenses, even though I have insurance that paid for all but 1.25 % of the surgeries and my share of office visits... still, they are very expensive surgeries. And so I cannot sometimes afford the supplements which keep me at optimal health/healing, or physical sup[port such as dance classes, yoga, massage or chiropractic care.
This is frustrating.

As compared to the vast benefits of having the hip replacements, they are relatively small issues - but I will not settle for "better". I will use this opportunity to be the best possible. It would be a huge injustice to me and to my life to just settle for - "Oh, neat! I can walk now! What's on TV? I don't feel like getting on the bike or walking tonight. So what if I'm a little stiff tomorrow?"
And more the next day, and then I am just getting by.
And sure - I watch some TV on a quiet night. I knit or get on the bike, or just relax after a long day. But I would rather, and more and more often do, get out - meet a friend for coffee, walk, get to the Farmer's Market, see a play, hear poetry read live, or read some myself at an open mic... and of course there are the times of be4ing in rehearsal or performances - that's the STUFF!
But the idea of a sedentary life spend in front of a TV when I have the precious physical ability to get out and MOVE is just too much.

I refuse to just get by! My life and what I can contribute in the world are worth so much more than that.
Life is good, so very, very good. It is a gift, and taking the best care possible of it is our personal duty. Due diligence - not just hanging out.

People often talk about Goals in Life.
There is this is idea that you have to want to be a CEO, or to Get to New York/Broadway, or Get Married and Have Babies... These are all wonderful plans...
But when I think about goals - I live in a place where I am happy, and amongst people whom I love and who love me.
I work in a job which, though is not a huge paycheck, is stable and also with good people.
And I have the opportunity to perform on stages as an Actor, a Singer, a budding Poet; to Direct other actors sometimes, or provide them with costumes or props which I have made or procured - to help to make a show look just right...

It's not that I don't have a Goal... it is that my goals are on-going... I think that my Goal is where I am. Not to settle, or be complacent or lazy. I am doing what I love to do, NOW. I am creating HERE.
And if I were to find myself with a better income, I would be happier, and if I were to somehow find that I could make my livelihood only creating Art, and not having to drive to and from to a 9-5 job, that would be even lovelier.
Yet, I understand that this is my choice, and for many good reasons. I love my life 90% of the time... I like it 95% of the time, and the 5% that I may not be so happy with? Well, them's pretty damned good percentages.

I'll continue to strive to take better and better care of myself,  become stronger and healthier, and eat good, delicious, healthy food with the occasional indulgence...
Bring on the chocolate! Here's to a happy life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!