Thursday, August 14, 2014

8/13/2014 Antibiotics, Dental Appointments

Today I had a dental cleaning.
No big deal, I have no fear or hesitation with dentists, especially good ones, and I have a good one. His hygienist never causes me pain - I take pretty good care of my teeth, and have a genetic propensity not to have tartar build up on my teeth One of the few *good* genetic things my dad passed on, bless 'im). So no big deal.

I remembered to put my one-dose antibiotics in my purse  - after joint replacements, you need to take an antibiotic to avoid serious infection. This is not just a silly way to sell drugs - I have a friend who had a near-fatal spinal infection which has ruined her life permanently due to a dental infection. As much as I am cautious about over-taking antibiotics (See previous posts re: the Shin Divot ulceration debacle).
Therefore, I follow my surgeon's orders and always take the two-pill, one-dose  antibiotics before a dental appoint, even a cleaning.
It's on my charts at my dentists' office, and he asked me if I had taken it, which is a good thing!
Then he started to ask the usual, "Has anything changed " questions... I remembered to mention that I'd had an allergic reaction to Bactrim (I had to look it up in my online records as It just wasn't coming to my brain, but it was worth the time it took). He added that to my chart - sometimes dentists will prescribe an antibiotic for a tooth issue. Good to have it there.
I got a loose crown re-cemented, too - a good thing.
I'm glad he asked and I was feeling chatty. Usually I'd remember these things, but I wasn't thinking about them when I came in. 
Came home too hungry and tired for a walk, but I did do 35 minutes on the exer-cycle. A friend had just posted a calendar she is having to keep to make herself remember to do her physical therapy at least 6 days a week. Whatever it takes! I cheered her on and then got right up, stretched and did a few of my PT items, and got on that bike. I'm really working up a sweat on that thing, and when I walk, and that's a really good thing!
It has been so long since I could do anything physical at *all* which worked my body enough to break a sweat... I feel great when I get done, no matter how tired. And I know I'm building the rest of my life. When you put it in those terms, it is a pretty swell motivation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!