Thursday, July 31, 2014

July 30 2014 - Happiness in Spite of the World's Trouble is OK... And Lessons Taught and Learned by Fellow Hip Replacement Recipients

Sorry - it's been a bit... I've been alternately busy and pretty whupped - I chose several nights to sleep instead of putting it off to write my usually late-night posts.

Good things have been afoot - lots of general happiness. I know the world is a bleeding wreck.
I am not indifferent, not by a LONG shot.
But it is not a crime to know those things, be aware of them, and still chose to be happy in one's own daily life.
I actually feel that, if we chose personal misery in the name of solidarity with the world's misery, we are really missing the point. If things are well with you, gratitude seems to me the fair choice. If I have a home and food,  even though times are very tight, and love in my life, and I can walk with the help of medical miracles, I think I am being deeply selfish if I do NOT acknowledge my fortune and allow myself to function at my best potential - happiness.
It does NO ONE any good for me to be guilty about it. And when I am functioning at my best, it means I am functioning for *others* at my best, and can help them in any way available to me. A kind word, a bit of advice, support in a painful or difficult situation, and when and if there are a few dollars to spare, a contribution to a needful person, an arts organization, a good idea that need funding...
And walking the world in happiness raises the happiness level around you. It just does.

I am not silly enough to think these are original ideas. I think the Buddha might have put them into words earliest, perhaps? But it is always good when you make the discovery on your own.
Choosing happiness is possible, and a very Good Idea.

Yesterday evening, I met my new friend Caryn face to face for the first time. We were introduced on Facebook by a mutual friend - a strong, kind Poet, Alice. She knew Caryn was about to undergo hip replacement, and might benefit from a bit of moral support.
iI was delighted! Caryn is a great lady - a teacher of children, and was really having a rough go. It's that time when you think, "I cannot really *walk* any more. this has to change". Her doctor didn't think it was quite necessary - and had weight concerns. Thank goodness she got a second opinion, and a terrific surgeon! The idea of sticking someone with agony and condemning them to losing many of their basic life functions, forcing them into a wheel chair is abhorrent to me - just because of a doctor's considerations regarding "obesity".
I am grateful to my surgeon for giving me his actual concerns about how my weight might affect my surgery (They were few), so I could know what to expect, but then NEVER MENTIONING IT AGAIN.
I am also grateful for Caryn's surgeon for not even worrying about it. He did a great job on her surgery, I think I was able to help her out a bit, and yesterday - 15 days after her replacement surgery!! - she strolled into Whole Foods to meet for dinner, and we sashayed over to the cafe bars, got some good food and sat down for a good chat!
She had forgotten her cane at home (Her son drove her over) - the first sign that you aren't really in much need of it any more. Afterward, she stayed to do some grocery shipping! Her first since...
I was so happy to see this!

And she taught me more about this Hip Replacement thing, too - Every person I encounter does!
It reminds me that 1 - it is really a very good procedure, and comes with a pretty low risk IF you follow your surgeon's advice and take really good care of yourself (Good diet, diligent Physical Therapy, listen to them re: your care after surgery, etc.), and educate yourself as well as possible. Also  - find your support crew, and really depend on them. Ask for help, accept it, and then later, pass it on.

I also learn every day that, as often as they tell you, Everyone really IS different!
And that my hips were REALLY bad - worse that I even knew... and the surgery was pretty extreme - very long, and a LOT more work than most people - by far! - need.. and still - I have always felt through the whole process that it was amazing and much easier that I could have imagined!
After discovering severe hip dysplasia, both surgeries needing a LOT of re-sculpting, and screws to hold the hardware into place, and the surgeries be 3.5 and 5 hours long (Average is 2.5 hours - Debbie was 1 hour and Caryn about 2)... slower recovery than most... I STILL am totally happy with my results!!
Every SECOND of it is worth it!!

The world is full of magic of all sorts, and the amazing magic that is contained in the ability for a skilled, educated and compassionate person to remove defective, diseased bone and replace it with efficient, strong and resilient metal pieces which work smoothly and give your life back?

Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!