Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Today - October 23, 2013 General Progress, Three Weeks Back to Work

I don't know how personal I plan to get as this progresses- I tend to share pretty freely, so we'll see how this pans out. My posts will also get shorter as I go - I am filling in a bit as I go.

So - today, October 23, 2013
This morning I did my physical therapy exercises, and at work I did my toe lifts. Certain exercises  are still hard for me to do, as the right leg isn't ready for them yet. Bridges are one of those.All in due time - I get stronger every day.

I have minimal pain in the Left/new hip - good news!
Having been assured last week by my surgeon that, though I should watch for pain in the inner thigh,
the very low-level pain (I'd call it a 2-3 out of 10) I have presently is very, very normal. We did new x-rays, and all is exactly as the day of surgery - a great relief, and a much-appreciated conversation with Dr. Smith.
In this healing process, the words "Medical Care" are not hollow. My doctors and nurses and physical therapists actually *care*. I didn't believe that was still possible -I have witness so much bad medical practice in the care of family, friends, and myself before.

But back to today. For some reason, I have been VERY tired today, and had a couple of dizzy moments. I think they are tied to my blood pressure medicine. When I stretch hard (which I am inclined to do a lot these days, with the muscles and joints all changing as I become a bit more active each day), I tend to get that "head rush" - I really got a hard one today. it was a little scary. I just leaned on my desk and let it pass. BP medication does that to me, apparently.
Chronic pain has tended to raise my blood pressure over the years - it is the lowest level of "high" - but they will not do surgery with *any* high BP, and so I am on medication.

After the second surgery, as I am able to actually walk again, and regain mobility and some fitness, I am very confident that my BP will normalize and I can ditch the medication.Under Doctor's supervision, absolutely. But ditch it, I will.

I am stunningly healthy aside from the hips/dysplasia/subsequent osteoarthritis.
I am overweight - but - I am a *healthy* fat girl. We exist!
All of my blood work is stellar, my EKG, etc - all right in the normal ranges. I heal very, very fast - YAY! Particularly fortuitous, considering that I have Celiac disease, which is an autoimmune condition. But as long as I eat completely gluten-free, my immune systems is pretty strong, happily!

But today my right hip REALLY hurt a lot. I stuck it out until 5:30 and made my way home, skipping a trip to the Co-op to get some produce, breakfast items and a few other provisions.

I have lovely co-workers who are generous about helping get my coffee and water in the morning at work, if I am not up to it, or heating up my lunch, etc. Our receptionist comes out to me in my car  every morning, gets my walker out of the back and helps me in. I can do it, but especially in the morning when the Tylenol has not yet quite kicked in, and I am still waking up (I am NOT any kind of a morning person), I am grateful for the help, and a cheerful greeting to start the day. (There are angels everywhere of many kinds, I've found. )
Post-surgery, I have been much more able a bit at a time, but it is such a relief to know that people are willing to help.
I can't yet get around very well in a large supermarket  - the right leg is just too weak and painful yet (the motorized carts take a lot of physical effort to get to, except at my local Natural Foods Co-op, where they will bring it to your car for you) but I still need some help getting groceries. Getting them up the stairs home is also a big challenge. I have very kind neighbors who are always willing to help, but I do try to spread the requests around a bit, so as not to overtax anyone's generosity.

I so look forward to the days when I can get my own groceries up the stairs without having to grip the rails. It is a matter of a few short months!!!

It's getting a bit late, and that may be one of my problems. I REALLY need to try to get to bed earlier - always this has been a real issue for me. Sleep is the best healer, after all.

I count the days until December 3, my second surgery - but I do it so often, it feels like a slow journey!

I'm getting out more these days, to dinner or coffee here, the theatre or a poetry reading there... pacing myself. There's always the "Where will the walker fit?" question, and how long I will need to be sitting - my bum is a tender, tender thing.

Tomorrow, I have two massages with my wonderful massage therapist, Curt - a chair massage at work (He comes every two weeks and you get a lovely 15-minute chair massage for $12) and then I have a full appointment at his office in the afternoon. I can credit his work as being a part of why I was able to remain upright long past the usual with the hips I was moving around on.

This photo is my surgery scar as of today. It is in the front ("anterior") of the thigh, starting at the hip-bend crease and is about 6" long.  I am amazed that it is this much healed - two months after the surgery! There is a good deal of numbness around it, and it should improve - but if it doesn't, I am more than happy to make the trade - a numb spot on my thigh for the ability to walk? Yep - sounds like a great deal to me! I started putting coconut oil with a little cocoa butter and vitamin E on it when my surgeon approved it. He does beautiful work.
  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!