Monday, November 10, 2014

11/9/2014 Catching Up, Losing Electra, a New Big "First Since" Goal met!

It's been a while. 
Lot has been going on... I did a stage reading of Macbeth on Halloween - the first rehearsal in which I rushed onstage with rage ( as is call for by the character, Hecate, in the scene) I heard my friends who were in it as well all kind of gasp or murmur - they were just amazed that I was able to move so fast and so well. 
Running is out because of the impact - but moving fast, I can DO! It was a fun performance. 
I've been doing social things - attended three fall weddings, and with our unseasonable beautiful (though dangerously dry) weather, they were ll gorgeous. You'll have read about the one in which I danced a lot - it was divine! The other two were less about dancing, but it was great, and I stood around talking to people with a glass of wine in my hand for long stretches - it's so nice! 

This weird weather continues - the next five days - here in the middle of November - are forecast between 68 and 77 degrees F?!?? Right now, it is after sunset and 72 degrees, with the windows open (my cat Maia's favorite thing is sitting in the open window and watching the night go by). lovely, but so strange and worrisome. 

I do have some lower-back pain, and occasionally have some pain in my left hip with makes me pause. But in a day or two, it's gone. 
I have been pretty steady on the bike. Last week was less regular - about every other day - but my littlest of my two three-year-old cats, Electra's health failed after a long decline (We think it was cancer), and she died very early Friday morning in my arms. it was very, very sad, and her sister Maia and I are figuring our what life in our home is like now. They were feral babies, and Maia has never been super-affectionate. We're getting closer already.
So - I am still sad, but back at nightly exercise. 
It's early enough that I will be able to get in my half-hour on the exercycle tonight, along with the walking. 
Someone told me I look like I lose more weight every time they see me. Could be - I do hope so - less impact on the hips, better blood pressure control. Easier tying of shoes. :} 
It looked like I had today in the mirror as I was heading out for my walk. I stand up straighter now, so who knows if it's an illusion? 
I am certainly working at fitness. 

But the BIG NEWS is - burying the lede - 
I BEAT MY MILE WALKING GOAL!!! I haven't been walking for exercise specifically in over a week. a sore knee here, exhaustion or grief there...
but today I had all the time in the world, was feeling pretty good, and make the step out at sunset. I slowed my pace, because I tend to get out there swinging and get too tired or a knee or such gets sore and brings me home before the mile goal. So - slower, taking my camera along an making beauty stops, and pacing myself. By the time I got to my street and had the option to turn for home, I was ready for a few more blocks and took them! 13 blocks - ONE MILE!!! I am SO HAPPY. 
I was able to get in 25 minutes of exercise bike AND vacuum! 
It seems my energy is picking up, and I'm hoping that is because I have added Potassium to my supplements. It was fairly low due to my BP medication/diuretic, and I've just been completely exhausted. 

A good friend and neighbor came by this afternoon and surprised me with beautiful roses from her garden in memory of my little Electra, and came in for a great gab. She and her wife are wonderful people and it was so kind and good of her to come. What would we do without friends? I cannot imagine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!