Sunday, November 30, 2014

November 26 flattening scars, improving gait!

 Hello! It's been a while! Life still gpes on, and my hips still have plenty to do with it!
Here's today's:
 
My scars are flattening out.
The anterior incision hip replacement, parting the muscles, kind of keeps a bit of a new contour, sort of a dip, in the top of one;s thigh around the scar as the healing progresses. but I am noticing, even though that sort of dip or valley is still there a year later (It will be a year for hip #2 in just over a week!), I noticed the other day, they are starting to flatten out. The muscles are finding their way back to their old places slowly, and the scars are flattening out and turning white.

I noticed some time ago that, once my left leg became pretty easy to cross onto my right knee, it took a bit longer relatively, for m right. So I started concentrating on stretching it and getting it more limber - i can't quite get it to cross all the way without lifting it with my hand yet, but closer all the time! **ALMOST** - bot not quite!!! not too frustrating - each step of the way has been gradual - it's a matter of time.

Also - my gait is still evolving! Mostly I notice and work on it at work (Or on my extended walks, but they are more for stamina)... walking around the building, I can modify to feel my footfall become lighter. I have always liked having a fairly light step, especially for having a rounder physique - but for a very long time, my gait was just pretty much a stomping lurch. Recently, I was experimenting with sort of lightly gliding across the floor - and it worked! Putting focus the weight on the *middle* of my foot, while still using the whole foot in balance - heel-middle-toe - makes it a smooth gait, indeed. I cannot wait to glide across a stage again! I've done pretty well with it this year, but it's getting continually better, and not sitting back and being content with "better", and striving for Best is the ticket!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!