Sunday, November 30, 2014

November 29 I start rehearsal for another play soon!

I have been off the stage for the most part (aside form some nice open-mic readings at poetry events and singing for my company's Holiday CD and upcoming party).
A few weeks ago, my friend Greg told me that our mutual friend, Steven, who has dealt with MS for a long time, and is now confined to a mobility scooter to get around) would like to do one last good show - a swan song, if you will. He's a damned good actor, and it's a shame. They are doing Love Letters - it is two actors, seated side by side at a table on stage, reading their love letters to each other over the course of their lives. It was written to be on Broadway and put together with very minimal rehearsal and preparation, and so that several actors could step in and out of the show - they could use busy actors for a week or two as their schedules permitted... A lovely idea. and perfect for an actor with mobility issues.
So, they were bandying about actresses in town who would be appropriate for the role and decided that I might be just the thing! I feel honored and delighted. I said yes before the whole question came out of my mouth. Greg will direct, we will each have understudies - I think they did not understand how recovered I am...  (though I will not need one, if they would like for me to give a performance to her, I'd be happy to! ).
It's the perfect project for me at Valentine's time, as well. I am really ready to be doing a show, and it will be just right, before I begin the rigorous process of a professional show - Pirates of Penzance -  for the first time since It All Went Pear-Shaped for my hips! In fact, I was doing a professional world premiere musical at the same theatre (A Little Princess) when I lost the last of the use of my hips without support (cane, and soon thereafter, a walker). I keep reminding myself, " Good lord, if I was able to get through A Little Princess in that kind of searing pain and limited mobility (and fistsfull of Ibuprofen), this should be a walk in the park! I get to play the Pirate's Maid of All Work, Ruth! 
But I digress.... I am so excited to get to do Love Letters with Steven and Greg! Had a lovely conversation with Steven last week, and we'll have our first read-through this week. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!