Tuesday, September 30, 2014

9/30/2014 A Great Weekend - So Much to Do, People to See, Poetry to read and hear, a Lovely Wedding and... DANCING!!!!


I danced last evening - I DANCED!
For the first time in about 4-5 years! I have *craved* dancing - I really love it! - and I fully intended to have a dance party, but my venue fell through, and I am not in a position to afford renting one right now, so, que sera.
This was at a spectacular, delightful wedding in Shenandoah Valley (California)  Wine country, on a winery,  overlooking rolling hills covered with trees and vineyards.
The band was terrific, and they had a great, eclectic playlist. We freestyle danced to rock - a little "Shout", some Elvis and such… The we fox-trotted to some Sinatra - I was very rusty, and my friend Michael was too, but we got the hang of it after some hilarious stumbly reminders, and getting the rhythm back our bones!
A bit later a gentleman asked me to dance, and we danced essentially a one-step to a wonderful Latin tune I love, Sway. He was a very strong lead dancer, which helps a LOT - and he was patient with my occasional stumbles! It was delightful.  

I was tickled to death when I left the floor for a breather at one point, and the woman dancing behind me took my arm and said, "You are a wonderful dancer!!" I am not deceived that I don't have a long way to go, but it was great to know that after all this time, I can brush off enough moves to appear to know what I'm doing, and have a really great time doing it!

It was a very active, lovely weekend, in fact!
I haven't been up to so much activity and gotten through it just great in SO long.
Saturday, I participated in an annual poetry event, 100,000 Poets for Change. A full day of reading and hearing poetry with friends.
I was nervous about mine - I haven't been writing much this year… but I came across on I wrote on December 9, 2013 five days after my second surgery - and it I had completely forgotten!! And it was perfect. My friends really enjoyed it, and at least one of them - Whom I respect the most - was very complimentary. Kudos from him are precious - he holds very high standards.
There was a lot of very good poetry read, and good to see friends in the poetry community.
Then dinner with a few - and home for the evening to finish the wedding gift - for the wedding Sunday! …

Sunday was *GREAT*! Farmer's Market, brunch with more dear friends, home to get ready for the wedding and off to *just!* catch the limo shuttle buses taking us all up to the venue about 40 minutes away in the foothills!
As mentioned, the wedding was fantastic. Beautiful place, people, and ceremony. Delicious and elegant food, spectacular sunset, great weather, lots of laughter, seeing friends from out of town, meeting the bride's new family - all from Australia. Like 25 people flew over!
We were so happy to see what a great family she is marrying into - hers is wonderful, too - so it was all about the love.

And the DANCING!!!!!  It was such a joy to just say Yes to several fun activities during one weekend, no disclaimers, and go - to ALL of them. And feel just swell afterward!
Today, I'm a little sore and tired. But still, happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from readers to see if what i'm posting has been of help to you as a potential hip replacement candidate, someone who is going through it with them, or just someone reading about my experiences. Thanks!